Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Chrysler's At The Bottom

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 09:54 PM
capsfloyd
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I can give a honest survey between the the big 3 and Toyota . Have not on a toyota truck. But on the Chevy and ford owned 3 chevys and 2 ford's , never a dodge.
Chevy always got better mpg but the Ford's ride was better
Then 2 weeks ago I bought the ram box dodge.
I drive a avg 3500 miles a month, traded in a extended chevy 2006 with 140,000, had RR trouble, alternater, Very soft ride [ Bouncey]
The dodge life time warranty maxcare really took notice
The ride on the dodge is heads above the other two, The rambox is a great idea. On the chevy and ford with the crew cab box if, you put a tool box on the bed you loose about 24" out of the bed. The rambox you loose the space on the inside of the wheel well , not much .
The room in the dodge crew is more, the buckets are much better[ do not do leather] The fit and finish is really good on the dodge's
If I did not buy the dodge I would have bought the ford, then the chevy.
The Toyota Max crew is not in the DFW area yet a least not the 1st week of March
Will keep a update on the dodge ,,, good or bad

Old 03-12-2009, 01:31 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 74charger
yeah i hate all of those consumer report ppl they have no idea what they are talking about most of the time. I was watching car and driver the other day and they were comparing the new ram to the new f-150 and they said the f-150 was far superior quality cus this dumb plastic thing on the tailgate of the ram fell off when the guy was standing on it with all of his weight. Like youve got to be kidding me. Does everyone of these places forget that the ram produces 100 more hp and only 1 mpg less or that its the only truck to ever have a 5 link coil. this is what the guy said " the 5 link is great but this plastic piece is unforgivable so the ford takes this one by a fairly large margin " I dont listen to a damn thing any of them say Chrysler dodge and jeep are the best selling line in canada and thats where i live so thats all i need to say. I think there is one thing ppl realy need to consider when determining reliability in cars and trucks. Look who drives them i bet the percentage of asians who drive hondas and toyotas far out weighs the percentage of white ppl that drive those brands. And im not saying it in a racist way but asians are probably alot easier on there cars then white ppl, I know i beat the SH*T outta my truck and i've never had a problem with it and its a dodge. I think some company needs to take like 100 cars from each manufactuer and treat them all the same and see where the standings are after 50,000 miles then we wouuld realy see who is best.
The new F-150 is indeed better than the Ram, but only slightly.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:06 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I owned an '02 Avalanche, for less than a year!!!
Issues out the bung hole! First of all, I was told by the salesperson and sales mgr. that the 3 piece bed cover was 100% water tight. At the time I was doing consulting work and moving PC's, many times, unboxed ones. The thing leaked like a spaghetti strainer! Forget leaving the "mid gate" down in the rain, you end up with a soaked rear seat and carpet. After multiple complaints at the dealer, I was told by the service manager that they were in fact NOT water tight, and unless I could produce a piece of documentation where either the sales mgr. or GM claimed them to be, I was SOL!
The rig is WAY too heavy for the 5.3L V8, could not get out of it's own way. As a result, city mileage is HORRIBLE about 9 mpg, no matter what GM claims. Highway was good, I guess you had to get that mass moving, but city was just terrible.

The 5.3 lost oil, I say lost, because it never was on the ground, nor appeared to be burning excessive oil, but I routinely had to replace a Qt. every 1000-1500 miles.

I did like the concept of having the removable rear window and fold down "mid gate". Having that 8'+ "bed" came in handy at times. I also liked the insulated tool boxes with drain holes in the sides. One held tools, the other always got used for ice and beer while fishing or hunting or ATV riding.

I traded it in on a new '02 Z71 pickup, mainly because the dealer worked with me on the trade allowance to make up for the "water proof" bed cover fiasco. So unless I wanted to take a $3000-4000 bigger hit on the trade, I pretty much was stuck trading for another Cheby, and at that dealership. Coincidently in the year and a half I owned the Z71 before trading it on my current RAM, it also lost the same 1 Qt. of oil, every 1000-1500 miles. After about a half dozen trips to two different dealers, I was told "the 5.3L just does that"...

So you can see, I don't put ANY stock in what CR has to say, about anything...

Old 03-12-2009, 09:54 PM
09W3500
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lxman1
Consumer Reports might know about appliances, but not automobiles. They usually only praise Foreign cars, not American.
True. I wouldn't buy a household appliance without consulting Consumer Reports but vehicles are another matter. I do not consider the Chevy Avalanche or Honda Ridgeline to be trucks and neither vehicle looks like a truck either. How far do you think you'd get towing a full size travel trailer over the Rockies in August, especially with the Honda? I couldn't care less that my Dodge 4X4 pickup rides like a truck and won't corner like a sports car.

I'l do my own research when I'm car shopping. BTW, appearance ought to count for something and I think my Dodge is the best looking truck on the road. YMMV

Quick Reply: Chrysler's At The Bottom