Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

The Germans Got it Right - Cash for Trash

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 12:11 PM
kingpin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could see a program like that being put in place if we had a revolutionary technology coming on line. For example, like the wholesale move to a new fuel like hydrogen. This type of program could facilitate that switch, but, a general program like the german one, is prolly not a good idea in the US.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:31 PM
grungerockjeeper
Veteran

Originally Posted by kingpin
I could see a program like that being put in place if we had a revolutionary technology coming on line. For example, like the wholesale move to a new fuel like hydrogen. This type of program could facilitate that switch, but, a general program like the german one, is prolly not a good idea in the US.
Even so, its a bad idea. Talk to anyone who owns a muscle car or classic 4x4. Who's gonna scrap a Mustang GT or a cherried Trailduster for something that looks like a 4-door egg just because it runs on hydrogen?

Old 03-31-2009, 06:36 PM
batman13
Grand Champion

yea, i signed the petition against the cash for clunkers program,
if you need cash go steal some siding, leave the cars alone

Old 04-01-2009, 12:12 AM
big.bryant
Champion

but noone is forced to trade in their cars... its their choice, and is an incentive to trade in cars that in all honesty shouldn't be driving around...

Old 04-01-2009, 02:09 AM
emawk

Originally Posted by kingpin
so, we(the taxpayers) pay to get older cars off the road? What ever happened to driving a vehicle you can afford. In the end, your paying yourself to get a new car under the cash for trash scheme. That's using federal tax dollars to fund an industry by trying to create artificial demand. How many americans actually keep the same car for more than 6 years anyway? Seems I heard somewhere around 6 years in the US is the average length of ownership. So, if a similar program was in play in the US it would have to be around 6-7 years. Not the 10 or older in Germany. In Europe most car owners keep their vehicles much longer than we do because of the high price of new vehicles relative to their after tax income and lesser need for multiple vehicles per capita.
Regardless, there are still many people out there who have old, beat-up cars. If Toronto Canada is an indication of anything, I see these old cars everywhere. The program will be targeting these people.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:07 PM
VTSRT4
Rookie

It would prevent accidents involving a 1970 cadillac smashing into a 2008 lexus. While the Caddy owner can give 2 craps about his car being wrecked. I hate seeing drivers with old useless cars driving without pride in their vehicle

Old 04-16-2009, 09:31 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Most people who drive old cars like that do so because the cherish the classics and would be sick if a Lexus totaled itself putting a scratch in real old American steel!!

I know I would!!

Old 04-16-2009, 11:06 PM
emawk

Originally Posted by lxman1
Most people who drive old cars like that do so because the cherish the classics and would be sick if a Lexus totaled itself putting a scratch in real old American steel!!

I know I would!!
I don't think the incentive is specifically targeting classic cars. Rather, it's targeting cars that are about 10 to 20 years old. Nothing classic about those cars, at least not yet.

Old 04-18-2009, 01:50 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

They ain't getting my 21 yr old 5.0L Mustang!!!! They will have to kill me first. I bought it with 10 miles on it and 164K later, it still looks and runs good. It is family!!

Old 04-18-2009, 04:33 PM
emawk

Originally Posted by lxman1
They ain't getting my 21 yr old 5.0L Mustang!!!! They will have to kill me first. I bought it with 10 miles on it and 164K later, it still looks and runs good. It is family!!
lol. That Mustang must be something.

Quick Reply: The Germans Got it Right - Cash for Trash