Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

If Chrysler goes under

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 05:49 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default If Chrysler goes under

The time draws near, and it is possible Chrysler will be sold off. Can you imagine the "Hemi" name in a GM? Could happen...

Anyhow... If Chrysler goes bye bye what do you think it will do to the old muscle prices? The to the newer muscle prices? If you have the means do you run to the dealer and buy that one Viper or SRT Challenger sitting there and put it in a garage for 20 years?

Old 04-19-2009, 06:17 PM
BadRam1
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think for the old muscle cars, the economy plays the biggest role when determining the price, but Chrysler going under I'd imagine it wouldn't exactly hurt the value of these cars. I can see it greatly helping out the value of the newer muscle cars in years to come. I've had this same discussion with my dad a few times and he also agrees with me. He just had major back surgery and is considering treating himself to a present as soon as he is better. A new Viper is one of the top toys on the list

Old 04-19-2009, 07:00 PM
Nofrag
Champion

Originally Posted by 94rt10ohio
The time draws near, and it is possible Chrysler will be sold off. Can you imagine the "Hemi" name in a GM? Could happen...

Anyhow... If Chrysler goes bye bye what do you think it will do to the old muscle prices? The to the newer muscle prices? If you have the means do you run to the dealer and buy that one Viper or SRT Challenger sitting there and put it in a garage for 20 years?
That is exactly what you should do.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:20 PM
CarGuyOhio

Originally Posted by Nofrag
That is exactly what you should do.
I ordered a Ram a week ago, I am trying to keep them in business

Old 04-19-2009, 08:25 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 94rt10ohio
I ordered a Ram a week ago, I am trying to keep them in business
your selling the T/A already eh..

I love the looks of the 09 rams. I would kill for one

Old 04-19-2009, 08:42 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We are still looking hard at the 09 Rams.
I dont think that Chrysler will "go under". Its not realistic to think that in a few months, there wont be a Ram or Charger available. However, it is pretty realistic to consider the fact that Chrysler LLC wont exist, so the Dodge Ram will actually be marketed by some other country, but such is the business world...i would still expect the popular chrysler models to be there, but i would also expect the new parent corp to trim some fat. im not trying to **** off or speak ill of any of our UAW guys, but the odds are better than not that when that day comes, the UAW is going to be the first thing cut, and breaking down the labor union will have a substantially beneficial effect on the industry.

GM and Chrysler were very close to becoming the same company a while back, but it fell through and I dont think that there is any real chance that any of the big three will buy any of the others...as theyre all too broke. however, I think that its fairly imminent that they will eventually be backed by foreign finances, but i dont see how that makes any difference...it happened when dumbler bought them years ago.

i own several japanese based mopars, and ive had no problem with them...

Old 04-19-2009, 09:02 PM
rare aries
Keeper of the Ks

I dont see the departure of Chrysler having any big impact on the prices of the older muscle or any of the old Mopars. I do see it having an impact on the newer ones though, I bet the prices of those might take a slight dip down as people would be concerned about availability of parts, thus causing dealers to drop the prices just to move them off the lot.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:23 PM
CarGuyOhio

I am not worried about the parts factor. To many aftermarket options, which would be even more abundant if Chrysler was not supplying any parts. Parts would also need to be available for warranty work, which, according to the people running this country, would be honored.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:50 AM
truckin151
Grand Champion

If I could go out and buy a new challenger I would do it in a heart beat and it would be my weekend car.

But even if they do go under and get bought out by GM I would really doubt that they would just get rid of the Chrysler name or take over the company and turn all dodges into chevys and wipe out the company. What would more than likely happen is if they did buy them out, GM would own the rights to the Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep name but would let them keep thier name and vehicle line like they have done with Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, GM Daewoo, Holden, Hummer, Opel, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn, Vauxhall and Wuling. All are different names different vehicles under one main company.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:16 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by truckin151
If I could go out and buy a new challenger I would do it in a heart beat and it would be my weekend car.

But even if they do go under and get bought out by GM I would really doubt that they would just get rid of the Chrysler name or take over the company and turn all dodges into chevys and wipe out the company. What would more than likely happen is if they did buy them out, GM would own the rights to the Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep name but would let them keep thier name and vehicle line like they have done with Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, GM Daewoo, Holden, Hummer, Opel, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn, Vauxhall and Wuling. All are different names different vehicles under one main company.
thats a good point....while i dont think that GM can afford to buy chrysler, the rumor last year was that gm and chrysler would merge and GM would be the controlling power. they would then dissolve the models from chrysler that are a problem for the models that they want to sell, like the camaro, for instance. GM wants to sell lots of camaros, so they kill the challenger, but with the charger, gm doesnt have a real competitor, so why worry about it? but with the chrysler 300, it competes with cadillac, but i dont think that they would kill that as its a very popular model..but who knows..

Quick Reply: If Chrysler goes under