Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Chrysler Plans To Shut Down Eight Plants By 2010

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 09:41 AM
JohnH4260
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrysler Plans To Shut Down Eight Plants By 2010

Chrysler has laid out preliminary plans that call for the closure of eight of its plants by 2010 to further streamline operations. According to one spokeswoman, displaced employees will likely be able to retain their jobs at other Chrysler facilities around the nation.

Chrysler officials are hoping 5000 new jobs will be created once all the details surrounding the proposed Fiat alliance are hashed out.

Here's the complete list of facilities that will be closing according to Chrysler's bankruptcy filing:
-- Sterling Heights (Mich.) Assembly Plant
-- Detroit (Mich.) Axle: Dodge Dakota, Dodge Durango, Chrysler Aspen, Dodge Ram, Dodge Nitro, Jeep Liberty and Jeep Grand Cherokee. Front Drive Axles: Dodge Ram, Dodge Dakota, Dodge Durango, Chrysler Aspen and Jeep Grand Cherokee.
-- Conner Avenue (Detroit) Assembly
-- St. Louis (Mo.) North Plant: Dodge Ram 1500, 2500, 3500
-- Kenosha (Wisc.) Engine
-- Twinsburg (Ohio) Stamping Plant: Stampings, assemblies and miscellaneous sub-assemblies including hoods, quarter panels, roofs, and body side apertures for the Chrysler Aspen, Chrysler and Dodge Minivans, Dodge Durango, Dodge Ram, Dodge Dakota, Jeep Compass, Jeep Patriot, and Jeep Liberty.
-- An idled plant in Newark, Del.
-- An idled plant in south St. Louis

Retained under a restructured Chrysler for long term operation will be:
-- Toluca and Saltillo plants in Mexico: Dodge Ram 1500 (Mexican market only) Dodge Ram 2500/3500 Quad Cab and Regular Cab, Dodge Ram Mega Cab, Dodge Ram 3500 Chassis Cab, DX Chassis Cab (Mexico Market), Dodge Ram 2500/3500 Box-off, Dodge Ram 4500/5500 Chassis Cab, Sterling Bullet Class 4/5 Chassis Cab (for Sterling Truck, a subsidiary of Freightliner)
-- Brampton and Windsor plants in Ontario, Canada
-- Toledo North and Toledo Supplier Park in Ohio: Jeep Liberty, Dodge Nitro / Jeep Wrangler and Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (2 and 4 doors)
-- Warren Truck and Jefferson Avenue in Michigan: Dodge Ram 1500 Standard Cab and Quad Cab SLT/Laramie/Laramie Sport and Dodge Dakota Standard, Club and Quad Cab pickups, Mitsubishi Raider Standard, Club and Quad Cab pickups/Jeep Grand Cherokee and Jeep Commander.
-- Belvidere in Illinois: Dodge Caliber, Jeep Compass and Jeep Patriot.
-- Van operation in Ladson, South Carolina

Old 05-02-2009, 10:15 AM
mike2810
Captain

It is a shame to shut US plants and keep some in Mexico running. At least they are having one US plant building Rams.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:52 PM
utour
Rookie

Originally Posted by JohnH4260
Chrysler has laid out preliminary plans that call for the closure of eight of its plants by 2010 to further streamline operations. According to one spokeswoman, displaced employees will likely be able to retain their jobs at other Chrysler facilities around the nation.

Chrysler officials are hoping 5000 new jobs will be created once all the details surrounding the proposed Fiat alliance are hashed out.

Here's the complete list of facilities that will be closing according to Chrysler's bankruptcy filing:
-- Sterling Heights (Mich.) Assembly Plant
-- Detroit (Mich.) Axle: Dodge Dakota, Dodge Durango, Chrysler Aspen, Dodge Ram, Dodge Nitro, Jeep Liberty and Jeep Grand Cherokee. Front Drive Axles: Dodge Ram, Dodge Dakota, Dodge Durango, Chrysler Aspen and Jeep Grand Cherokee.
-- Conner Avenue (Detroit) Assembly
-- St. Louis (Mo.) North Plant: Dodge Ram 1500, 2500, 3500
-- Kenosha (Wisc.) Engine
-- Twinsburg (Ohio) Stamping Plant: Stampings, assemblies and miscellaneous sub-assemblies including hoods, quarter panels, roofs, and body side apertures for the Chrysler Aspen, Chrysler and Dodge Minivans, Dodge Durango, Dodge Ram, Dodge Dakota, Jeep Compass, Jeep Patriot, and Jeep Liberty.
-- An idled plant in Newark, Del.
-- An idled plant in south St. Louis

Retained under a restructured Chrysler for long term operation will be:
-- Toluca and Saltillo plants in Mexico: Dodge Ram 1500 (Mexican market only) Dodge Ram 2500/3500 Quad Cab and Regular Cab, Dodge Ram Mega Cab, Dodge Ram 3500 Chassis Cab, DX Chassis Cab (Mexico Market), Dodge Ram 2500/3500 Box-off, Dodge Ram 4500/5500 Chassis Cab, Sterling Bullet Class 4/5 Chassis Cab (for Sterling Truck, a subsidiary of Freightliner)
-- Brampton and Windsor plants in Ontario, Canada
-- Toledo North and Toledo Supplier Park in Ohio: Jeep Liberty, Dodge Nitro / Jeep Wrangler and Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (2 and 4 doors)
-- Warren Truck and Jefferson Avenue in Michigan: Dodge Ram 1500 Standard Cab and Quad Cab SLT/Laramie/Laramie Sport and Dodge Dakota Standard, Club and Quad Cab pickups, Mitsubishi Raider Standard, Club and Quad Cab pickups/Jeep Grand Cherokee and Jeep Commander.
-- Belvidere in Illinois: Dodge Caliber, Jeep Compass and Jeep Patriot.
-- Van operation in Ladson, South Carolina
WOW, No words...
I think it's time to start looking at Ford.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:09 PM
turk1270
Veteran

why is it time to start looking at ford

Old 05-02-2009, 08:47 PM
utour
Rookie

Originally Posted by turk1270
why is it time to start looking at ford
no don't take that as a straight meaning, just a mass of words to express the sadness of loosing my RAM.
I drove F-150 today, nice truck, but was still thinking of RAM

Old 05-02-2009, 10:07 PM
72combo
Champion

Originally Posted by utour
no don't take that as a straight meaning, just a mass of words to express the sadness of loosing my RAM.
I drove F-150 today, nice truck, but was still thinking of RAM
I think you should go pay all that money for a ford. Wait till you see the problems you are looking at, especially if you are thinking diesel. JMHO.

I agree with such a cut back of plants I agree they should all be in USA or Canada. Man we used to have 8 Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth or whatever plants here years ago. Spring plant, truck plant, van plant all those kick *** hotrods built here i heard storie from old guys that used to drag race down the back 40 they called it, basically an alley with doors that accessed you had to be careful I hear lotsa wrecks LOL. Those were the days.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:42 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

This site is helpful, IF they keep it updated.

http://www.chryslerrestructuring.com/

Old 05-03-2009, 01:16 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

They are still in business and still make Rams. No need to jump ship to Ford.

Quick Reply: Chrysler Plans To Shut Down Eight Plants By 2010