Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

presenting... the charger srt-8

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 05:08 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: presenting... the charger srt-8

2006 Dodge Charger SRT8

By Mike Dushane

The 425-hp Dodge Charger SRT8 is a rockin' muscle car. It would be easy to dismiss it as yet another twin to the Chrysler 300C SRT8 and the Dodge Magnum SRT8, but the Charger establishes itself as the sportiest of its brethren with the firmest suspension calibration of the bunch and look-at-me spoilers and scoops.

Not only is the Charger SRT8 the athlete of the group, we expect it to be an amazing bargain at well under $40,000. To put that in perspective, the only Ford sedans that will run with this car are the Jaguar R-series models which start at $58,995 and the only GM offerings in the same league are the V-series Cadillacs which start at $51,485. The Japanese don't sell a sedan as powerful, and don't even ask what you'd have to pay for a German sedan that could keep up. With a 0-60 time of around five seconds flat, the Charger SRT8 will show its taillights to all eight of the $50k plus sport sedans in our May issue.

The pushrod Hemi V-8 found in all the SRT8 models makes 425 hp and 420 lb-ft of torque the old fashioned way: displacement--6.1 liters of it, to be exact. All that twist goes through a five-speed manu-matic transmission to an open rear differential and then on to Summer tires wrapping twenty-inch wheels. Keeping things in check are massive Brembo brakes and sport-tuned stability and traction control. With the ESP off (not really off, but as close as you'll get in a DaimlerChrysler product), the tail will hang out at angles that could put a grin on the face of even the most jaded automotive journalist.

Mopar enthusiasts will be able to spot the SRT8's unique front and rear spoilers, a functional hood scoop, massive twenty-inch five-spoke wheels, red-painted brake calipers, dual 3.5-inch exhausts, and, when they pop the hood, the retro black and orange paint on the engine. Red, silver, and black are the only initial color options.

Old 03-24-2005, 05:12 PM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the Charger SRT8 will show its taillights to all eight of the $50k plus sport sedans in our May issue.

what magazine?

Old 03-24-2005, 05:15 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper

http://automobilemag.com/auto_shows/..._charger_srt8/

Keep in mind... he said 50K sport SEDANS

Old 03-24-2005, 05:23 PM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member

they already have this updated for the charger: http://www.dodge.com/srt/index.html

Old 03-24-2005, 05:33 PM
dakota2112
Rookie

Everyone complaining about the sedan needs to get a grip. Based on what I consider to be credible sources over at Allpar, there is a coupe version of the Charger, either on paper or perhaps in physical form (no one really knows the details) but the key datapoint is that it hasn't been greenlighted... yet.

And again, based on these sources (who have, so far, been pretty much right on target), my gut feel is that the charger sedan is just the beginning. I consider the Charger sedan to be largely a competitor of the chevy impala... and I swear, I see more impalas than anything else out there. That's the volume market, and from a business standpoint, the volume market will bring in more money than the coupe market. This might upset the coupe diehards, but I believe there are way more people willing to buy sedans than there are coupe diehards. The sedan will, hopefully, provide funding for the goodstuff.

(And, fwiw, I don't personally think the charger sedan would simply just need to lose 2 doors to "make it a charger"... I think it needs more retro looks to it, a curvier sculpted body, etc... I don't think there's anything wrong with the new Charger, it's a hot looking car... I just wish it was called something else)

Old 03-24-2005, 05:47 PM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member

ORIGINAL: dakota2112

Everyone complaining about the sedan needs to get a grip. Based on what I consider to be credible sources over at Allpar, there is a coupe version of the Charger, either on paper or perhaps in physical form (no one really knows the details) but the key datapoint is that it hasn't been greenlighted... yet.

And again, based on these sources (who have, so far, been pretty much right on target), my gut feel is that the charger sedan is just the beginning. I consider the Charger sedan to be largely a competitor of the chevy impala... and I swear, I see more impalas than anything else out there. That's the volume market, and from a business standpoint, the volume market will bring in more money than the coupe market. This might upset the coupe diehards, but I believe there are way more people willing to buy sedans than there are coupe diehards. The sedan will, hopefully, provide funding for the goodstuff.

very true. people hold it together and see what happens, instead of going ape **** about it.

not only the impala, but also the Taurus, and the intrepid used to be. all are EXTREMELY big sellers. alot of potential in that market.

Old 03-24-2005, 08:03 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper

ORIGINAL: nickoman01

they already have this updated for the charger: http://www.dodge.com/srt/index.html
I don't see the Charger there... What are you talkin' bout Nick?

Old 03-24-2005, 08:13 PM
OG MagDak
Professional

in those pictures from the new york auto show that looks like a charger cop car- not a magnum- are they going to build those to?? that would be sweet (except for those who flee from the law!)

Old 03-29-2005, 07:58 AM
MG42pillbox
Veteran

Sorry for you guys, this is the new Charger, if you dont like it, dont buy one, its very simple, thats how businesses work, They make a product, and then give those products names, rather you like it or not, it is irrelevant, and its immature to try to tell a company their vehicle isnt what they have named it, Because YES IT IS What They have named it. It is the CHARGER period. The paid for, they name it, as soon as you spend a few hundred million dollars on a car design then you will have some leverage, and your opinion might mean something.

Old 03-29-2005, 04:44 PM
OG MagDak
Professional

dont get me wrong i am accepting this charger, but it is taking a lot for me since i have grown up with a 69 hemi charger. so i see both sides since i hav also grown up just wishing the best for chrysler, but in defense to those who are complaining, the problem is that their opinions SHOULD matter to the company spending the millions to put out a car.

Quick Reply: presenting... the charger srt-8