Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

What does the dealership do when...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 05:25 PM
Snaximus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does the dealership do when...

Hey, Does anyone know what the dealership's procedures are regarding the changing of a water pump? I am keeping an eye on another thread, and meanwhile my 02 Ram 1500 56k mi, is at the dealership awaiting a new water pump. I was having the 4.7 overheating issue, went through the easy stuff like cap and Tstat, but since I have waranty, I decided to let the dealer have a go. They told me.."I think it's the water pump".

My question is, when the dealership does a water pump replacement, do they do the things we would do while in there, like, flush the radiator? Cange the hoses? or is that need to be requested? Personally, for peace of mind, I would even probably change the fan clutch while I was there. That might seem like throwing away money, but it's already all apart, right? Input is appreciated.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:39 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

all repair shops operate on the principle of making money. they tear off the old and slap on the new as quick as possible. unless theres some agreement to do so, nothing gets replaced unless it bad.

so no, they would not do a flush, but you would likely end up with new coolant, since it has to be drained out, unless - they put the old back in.

if the fan clutch was bad, they would replace it. otherwise, no.
same with hoses.

yes it is apart, but unless someone pays for the new parts, you ain't getting them.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 07-23-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:03 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

They will fix whatever is bad and nothing more.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:28 AM
Snaximus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks folks !! That's what I thought.... gotta keep 'em comin' back, I guess !

Quick Reply: What does the dealership do when...