Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

DodgeForum.com drives the all-new 2011 Dodge Durango

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 02:31 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DodgeForum.com drives the all-new 2011 Dodge Durango

Last week I was in California for the LA Auto Show and the folks from Dodge invited me to head to San Francisco to drive a handful of new Dodge products and included in that group was the all-new 2011 Dodge Durango. The 2011 Durango sets out to erase the ghosts of the last generation that plagued the big SUV with complaints of poor handling and terrible fuel economy eventually running the vehicle out of production.

The 2011 Durango is being marketed as a performance SUV but when you get in to the 2011 Durango Citadel, it is best described as a luxury model. Dodge has applied their “super soft touch” surfaces all around the interior, complimenting the plush, comfortable seats that allow for 7 passengers. When you don’t need to haul a bunch of people, you can fold down the seats to offer unparalleled cargo space. In the rare event of exposed plastics here and there in the 2011 Durango, that plastic has been smoothed and treated so that it offers a more pleasant feel than many automotive plastics, with any rough or sharp edges rounded off. Our test vehicle featured the top of the line Citadel trim package, adding a high end navigation/stereo setup and luxurious leather upholstery.

On the outside, the 2011 Dodge Durango Citadel presents a sporty, muscular stance with the bold front end and flared wheel openings helping to promote the performance SUV label. Based on the new Grand Cherokee platform and built at the Jefferson North Assembly Plant, the 2011 Durango is slightly longer and wider than the Jeep, offering some extra interior space without making the vehicle look bulky. Although we did not get to see one in person, Dodge will also offer the R/T trimline for the 2011 Durango with a super aggressive front fascia, tuned suspension and other modifications combining to create the Road and Track package for this new sporty SUV.

The 2011 Durango is available with either the new 3.6L Pentastar V6 offering 290hp or the 5.7L Hemi with 360 horsepower, both of which are mated to an automatic transmission. Our 2011 Durango Citadel test vehicle was equipped with the mighty Hemi and during my drive time in the SUV, I found myself tearing along the famous Highway 1, attempting to keep up with another driver in the 2011 Challenger SRT8 392. While the 110hp deficit and added weight in the SUV were too much to overcome in trying to keep up with the muscle car, simply trying to keep pace with the Challenger helped reveal the amazing handling capabilities of the 2011 Durango. From putting the pedal to the floor and accelerating hard through short, tight corners, the Durango felt sure-footed and confident, with the Dodge advanced AWD system working to keep the SUV headed forward even when the tires were pushed past their traction limits. I don’t hesitate for a second in saying that the 2011 Durango Citadel was the best-handling stock SUV I’ve driven and for those who aren’t looking to buy an SUV based on its ability to keep up with a Challenger SRT8 392, the Durango offers interior luxury that you would expect from far more expensive vehicles.

The amount of engineering that went into the 2011 Dodge Durango is very obvious; from the high quality luxurious interior to the sporty exterior to the refined suspension system, the Durango is a complete SUV that can haul 7 people and tow over 6,000lbs without compromising the fun to drive factor.

Click here for a look at the 2011 Dodge Durango at the LA Auto Show!

Old 11-24-2010, 08:20 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful! I think it's the best looking Durango yet. Is there going to be a special "Off Road" package like the Ram-with suspension lift and such?

Old 11-24-2010, 09:39 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

this is one REALLY sweet looking SUV, might have to look into that . . .

Old 11-25-2010, 10:19 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

so far from what ive heard, they are pushing this as a sort of on-road, performance SUV...and if youve seen the 2011 durango RT, its obvious that it wont be doing much offroading. however, i think that during one of the discussions with a rep from dodge, they mentioned that you can get an underbody skidplate for offroading...

Old 11-26-2010, 03:13 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I want the Durango so bad!

Old 11-26-2010, 12:14 PM
highrevr/tflea
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Time to schedule a test drive

Old 11-28-2010, 07:01 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't wait to see one of the R/T's in person, the new look is a huge improvement over the 2nd gen. I'm really liking the new style of crosshair grill seen on the new Charger and Durango too.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:40 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought that I read Fiat is not calling it a Hemi anymore. I saw a 'newer' Jeep that only had the placard the read 5.7L, but no Hemi under the numbers,
FF

Old 11-29-2010, 11:03 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

Originally Posted by fascistfaction
I thought that I read Fiat is not calling it a Hemi anymore. I saw a 'newer' Jeep that only had the placard the read 5.7L, but no Hemi under the numbers,
FF
That was a rumor started a while back but as soon as I heard the rumor, i contacted my Chrysler rep and asked about it. they are not doing away with the hemi name at all, but the hemi name is more commonly associated with dodge products, not jeeps...which is why the name is plastered all over the dodge and ram vehicles.

i also think on a personal level (this is not in any way a comment from chrysler) that they are trying to promote the grand cherokee as being easier on gas. this is why the pentastar V6 is the standard engine for every trimline in the 2011 GJC...and the "hemi" name is typically associated with high performance and that isnt the angle jeep wants...but thats all speculation on my part.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:16 AM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a Jeep SRT8 come up next to me on the turnpike while I was doing 75 MPH. The guy matched my speed and then was gone and out of sight within a few seconds. Damn thing was small and fast.

edit: I hope there is a SRT8 Durango version

FF

Last edited by 1969CoronetR/T; 11-30-2010 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Went on a tangent

Quick Reply: DodgeForum.com drives the all-new 2011 Dodge Durango