Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Dodge Caliber SRT-4

Old 07-11-2005, 03:39 PM
chud298
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Caliber SRT-4

http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/caliber.html

Allpar wrote:
* The Dodge Caliber engines, like those of the Dodge Rebel sedan/coupe, will be the 1.8 in Europe, the 2.4 in the US, and the 2.0 in both regions. A 235 horsepower turbocharged 2.4 is likely in an SRT version.

* The 2.4 liter naturally aspirated version will be quite potent with 170 horsepower - that's an estimate from Chrysler. All four cylinder engines will be the new world engine.

* A Volkswagen diesel will be offered starting around calendar-year 2006, at least in Europe. Why Volkswagen, when DaimlerChrysler has so many diesels in its fleet? Perhaps because clean diesel fuel is to be phased in starting in 2006, and DCX wisely figures that the current government will be lax on enforcement.

* The new cars will, according to an exclusive Allpar source, come with a CVT (continuously variable transmission), supplied by Honda!, but with a computer programmed to mimic tradictional automatic transmissions, so customers are comfortable with the feel.

* One German source also suggested that the engines would start at 1.4 liters in Europe, presumably for tax reasons.

* The Dodge Caliber and next-generation Mitsubishi Lancer are being designed jointly by Chrysler and Mitsubishi engineers. For details, see the Dodge Rebel.

DODGE REBEL

http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/rebel.html

Allpar wrote:
* The Dodge Rebel's (we're going to use the name until Chrysler announces something) engines will run from the 1.8 (probably only used outside North America) to a 235 horsepower turbo-2.4 in the SRT-4 version. The 2.4 liter naturally aspirated version will be quite potent with 170 horsepower - that's an estimate from Chrysler. All four cylinder engines will be the new world engine jointly designed by Mitsubishi, Chrysler, and Hyundai, and built in Michigan (and Korea and Japan). There may be a hot optional engine, designed and built by Chrysler, not needing a turbocharger. A diesel will be available in Europe and, quite probably, in the US as well.

* The Dodge Rebel will be built in Belvedere.

* The Dodge Rebel is being designed by Chrysler and Mitsubishi engineers. While both are working together on a common platform, the final cars will be different in character. In North America and Europe, the Chrysler version will reportedly be used, even when sold under the Mitsubishi name. In Asia, the Middle East, and South America, the Mitsubishi version will reportedly be used, even when sold under the Dodge name. The Dodge and Mitsuibshi versions will have unique interiors and exteriors and different suspension tuning when sold in the same market.

* The EVO will have a Dodge version, with extensive Chrysler involvement in engineering in the two door version. The four door will be primarily worked on by Mitsubishi engineers, though members of the Neon ACR team are helping them, thanks to their strong rally and SCCA success. (The Neon traces its pedigree back to the Shelby Dodges, partly through John Fernandez). Mitsubishi has been a strong rally car and their engineers are no slouches. We're not exactly sure, though, why Dodge and MMC have switched places on the Rebel - the Stratus/Sebring/Avenger coupes were pretty pure Mitsubishi.

Old 07-11-2005, 07:38 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Dodge Caliber SRT-4

good find chad...

just like the Evo has a watered down dodge model now..called the SRt4.

Old 07-12-2005, 02:44 AM
chud298
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: BadStratRT

good find chad...

just like the Evo has a watered down dodge model now..called the SRt4.
Yeah now they're teaming up with Volkswagon and Honda lol. WTF

Old 07-17-2005, 02:13 PM
Last Of The R/Ts
Record Breaker

Lord, what is this world coming too? I can say that it does not come out bad everytime Dodge teams up with another maunfacturer, just like in the case of my 02 Stratus R/T. If you look under the sheetmetal, almost damn near everything is stamped Mitsubishi! I just can't resist though, I love my car. It is always good to get back in my 03 Durango R/T and know that I am truly in the U S of A!

Old 07-17-2005, 03:53 PM
Gary Howell
Professional

Hum that will give me a new Option for the Car & Driver SuperFour Challenge in 2007 a TDI. Hum got me thinking.

This years entry. We did this years the last week in June.

Old 07-17-2005, 03:57 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last of the RTs, i think that the only thing dodge makes on our cars are the wheels, and the steering wheel center, and the fascias...everything else is mitsu...basically, the RT coupe is a DSM, although they dont use that name anymore

Old 07-17-2005, 03:58 PM
Gary Howell
Professional

Didn't Chrysler get the DSM plant back as part of money that Mitsu owed Chrysler last year?

Old 07-17-2005, 04:25 PM
ramfan5.9
Hall Of Fame

the caliper "srt-4" is gonna suck IMO

Old 07-17-2005, 04:31 PM
Gary Howell
Professional

I figure it will be the car version, and not the SUV version, but you never know.

Old 07-17-2005, 05:49 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gary. How did you guys this year in the Challenge?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dodge Caliber SRT-4