Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

The 2012 SRT's are B - A - D!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 01:55 AM
grungerockjeeper
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Akizzle
I would take the Challenger hands down, and JC to carry the kids!

Wow never see anybody talk about 4 doors like its the worse invention since pet rocks lol...I will agree with you to some aspect. I agree a true sports car is a two seater, but a four door are for those tall people who can't fit in a two door or hates getting knee'd in the back all the damn time. I hate people who get two doors and they barely fit in it because they too think four doors just don't look as good, and instead they look ridiculous like a fat girl wearing a belly shirt lol.
When it comes to cars, I do feel that sedans are one of the worst inventions ever. I feel the same way about automatic transmissions, catalytic convertors, and dont EVEN get me started on hybrids!

Btw, Im 6'1" and about 245 lbs--Im not a big lardass, I could stand to lose a few pounds but Im just broad and bulky. I can fit in the front of most any 2-door just fine. But Im talking about something beefy like a Challenger, Mustang, or even some of the better laid out compacts like the GTI. I test drove a Mini Cooper and loved it, but felt like Id look a bit ridiculous in that car. That said, Id never pick a sedan and thats MOSTLY based on how awful they look with a strong dose of what I said up above.

Guys, Ill be the first to admit that my sedan hatred is irrational and borderline psychotic. But I also have some facts to support my opinion....unlike my 'every other team except the NY Giants can suck it' stance!

Old 08-17-2011, 08:52 AM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

"Thanks, you just set up my argument perfectly: Every last one of those cars has a 2-door or 5-door/wagon variant thats closely related and therefore is a MUCH better choice. Some even have both as options. Someone with enthusiast leanings might choose one of those cars, but in my opinion it'd be a poorly thought out choice prioritizing the everyday transportation/family duties first. "

Neon SRT-4 sedan only, Spirit R/T Turbo sedan only, 94-96 Impala sedan only, To make your point even more moot, the ever-so-popular Neon coupe was killed after the first gen because there was no market. In 2001 when I first came to Arizona, there were 2 unsold new Neon coupes on the lot here at Sierra Vista. 2 years old and never sold. I spoke with my brother and the 2 largest dealers in Sacramento had several on their lots well into the fall of 2000. I am down to 1 child and we rarely drive her anywhere. I and most "car guys" prefer sedans. 30+ years ago the only way to enjoy driving and get decent style was to buy a smaller, lighter coupe. Now even with cars like the Charger and 300, the point of a coupe is less relevant. There is not a single coupe that looks better than a sedan to me. In the 80's it was different. So you like coupes. That's cool. But the market says you're in a very slim minority that is getting smaller every year. Heck even Porsche had to admit defeat and come out with that atrocious abomination Panamera(you can coupe a sedan but you can't sedan a coupe). Other than high-end boutique makers, we will probably live to see the end of coupes by the mainstream manufacturers, and I for one won't grieve the loss. They already are a microscopic slice of the market.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:55 AM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

Go ahead and google it, there was no SS version of the Caprice or Olds wagon.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:53 AM
grungerockjeeper
Veteran

Originally Posted by mantisman51
"Thanks, you just set up my argument perfectly: Every last one of those cars has a 2-door or 5-door/wagon variant thats closely related and therefore is a MUCH better choice. Some even have both as options. "

Neon SRT-4 sedan only, Spirit R/T Turbo sedan only, 94-96 Impala sedan only, To make your point even more moot, the ever-so-popular Neon coupe was killed after the first gen because there was no market.
Neon SRT-4 is closely related to the PT Cruiser GT. Spirit R/T is closely related to Daytona IROC R/T and Impala sedan is semi-close to the Camaro/Firebird. Im not saying any of these are direct variants like the Charger would be to the Magnum or Challenger. Im saying that for the money you could get something relatively close to the same layout. Impala to Corvette would be WAY off for example.

The 1st gen neon coupes are all over the place. If no one wanted a coupe over a sedan why are there a significant number of people (TRUE enthusiasts, I might add) swapping SRT-4 drivetrains into 1st gen neon coupes? Try to find even a thrashed Impreza coupe for much under $8K, because those are getting STI drivetrains on a regular basis. Why was the Cobalt SS as successful as it was even with little to no marketing push? And when the Charger came out as a sedan why was theres so much hate mail and such a polarized love/hate sentiment with it? The Challenger came out as a result of straight up demand for a TRUE muscle car that looks the part as well as performs it. You think a 4-door camaro or mustang wouldnt cause rioting amongst fans of those too?

Ill tell you something else: When it comes to American car companies, halo cars like the Mustang, Corvette, Challenger, etc are more than the sum of their total units sold or how much money the mfg makes off of those cars. Simply having something to lust over is what drives the sales of lesser vehicles made by the same brand. If you dont think so, just look at Chrysler pre-Viper and pre '93 Ram. Companies like Hyundai and Toyota can exist without these, because they cater to people who shop for cars with the same attitude as when shopping for appliances. American cars have a reputation to live up to, and that reputation is badass muscle cars and hotrods. Sedans just arent going to fly too far among that kind of buyer.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:37 PM
Dman98
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mantisman51
The GC so I could still drive the mile and a half dirt road to my house. I really like the new style of the GC, but would rather have an SRT Durango.
I second the SRT8 Durango, I'm 6"2 and the GC doesn't have enough head room for me.

Quick Reply: The 2012 SRT's are B - A - D!