Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

2006 Mega Cab In Production!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 02:08 PM
ViperGTS
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Mega Cab In Production!

-- Largest pickup cab has room for six adults -- Tom LaSorda salutes Saltillo Assembly Plant's flexibility -- Joseph Chamasrour lauds cooperation with labor, government -- Saltillo Engine Plant produces one millionth HEMI(R)

AUBURN HILLS, Mich -- Chrysler Group began building the all-new 2006 Dodge Ram Mega Cab pickup today at its Saltillo Assembly Plant in Saltillo, Mexico. The Dodge Ram Mega Cab has the most interior passenger space, cargo capacity, and functionality of any pickup truck in the industry, providing comfortable seating for six adult passengers and their gear.

The Saltillo Assembly Plant also builds Quad Cab(TM) and regular models of the Dodge Ram 2500 and 3500 Heavy Duty, and the Ram SRT10. With the capability to build three different truck bodies in multiple variations, the Saltillo Assembly Plant is one of the Company's most flexible, giving it the option to vary the product mix to best meet the customer preferences without sacrificing production.

"The Saltillo team has been a great asset to the Chrysler Group," said Tom LaSorda, Chief Operating Officer of the Chrysler Group. "It is a versatile plant and the employees have demonstrated their ability to adopt new processes and technologies which help them efficiently produce high-quality vehicles."

LaSorda will become Chrysler Group's President and Chief Executive Officer effective January 1, 2006.

The Chrysler Group made a $210 million investment to ready the assembly plant for the addition of Mega Cab production. The investment includes state- of-the-art equipment, including a completely new body shop, world-class processes, and extensive employee training. The plant successfully executed a rolling launch of the Dodge Ram Mega Cab: production of existing models was not halted to accommodate the introduction of the new model.

During the assembly plant's changeover, approximately 200 new, high-tech robots were installed in the body shop which added efficiencies and new methods of error-proofing. The new body shop has the capability to assemble multiple vehicles with the same equipment in a continuous flow on a single assembly line. Modifications were also made to the equipment and processes in the paint shop and final assembly.

While at the plant, LaSorda announced that the Company has already built one million HEMI(R) engines at the adjacent Saltillo Engine Plant. The 5.7L HEMI engine is offered in multiple Chrysler, Jeep(R) and Dodge vehicles and is one of two power plants offered as standard equipment in the new Dodge Ram Mega Cab.

The strong partnership that the Company has with labor and the government cleared the way for the new product and the related investment in the plant.

"DaimlerChrysler de Mexico is committed to meeting competitive challenges from across the globe," said Joseph Chamasrour, President and Managing Director -- DaimlerChrysler de Mexico. "We are working together with the Union and the government in very progressive ways in order to stay ahead of the competition."

"Our plant employees played a key role in the successful launch of the Dodge Ram Mega Cab," said Roberto Gutierrez, Vice President - Manufacturing, DaimlerChrysler de Mexico. "A flexible workforce working in teams is an important element of Chrysler Group's Smart Manufacturing strategy."

Extensive training enables the workforce to remain one of the best-trained in the Chrysler Group system. The plant has completed 75,000 hours of training in the last two years.

The production kick-off was celebrated today in Saltillo with plant employees, LaSorda, Chamasrour, and Gutierrez, as well as Plant Manager Santiago Pages, and Hugo Diaz Covarrubias, General Secretary of the DaimlerChrysler Mexico Worker's Union. Mexico's Secretary of the Economy, Lic. Fernando Canales and Governor of Coahuila, Lic. Enrique Martinez were also in attendance.

The Saltillo Assembly Plant has 2,100 employees and is one of five DaimlerChrysler production facilities in Mexico. The facility was completed and production began in 1995. Production began at the Saltillo Engine Plant in 1985 and it has 1,100 employees. Other manufacturing operations include the Saltillo Stamping Plant; Toluca Assembly Plant; and Toluca Stamping Plant.

With headquarters in Mexico City, DaimlerChrysler de Mexico employs more than 7,000 people and is the second largest private exporter in the country.

Also, the Mega Cab should be available sometime this September.

-Matt-

Old 08-16-2005, 12:37 PM
jimmasterK
Veteran
Default RE: 2006 Mega Cab In Production!

I have to say, as much of a fan I am NOT of a small truck bed, that truck looks NICE!

Old 08-16-2005, 12:44 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

they might as well make a Dodge Ram SUV while they are at it.....thats just a wasted truck in my opinion...despite the nice look...

Old 08-16-2005, 06:26 PM
Natedogg625
Record Breaker

Saw on yesterday as I was going to get my truck washed. I looked at and said "Thats a Huge Bi*ch"

Old 08-17-2005, 02:17 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: DevilsReject

they might as well make a Dodge Ram SUV while they are at it.....thats just a wasted truck in my opinion...
Yeah right! Why would you close the bed off?

That thing is massive. Oh the feeling to behind one! I can only wonder.

Old 08-17-2005, 11:12 AM
Silver Eagle
Captain

That's one sweet pick up truck,I got to try one out last weekend in Newark Delaware at the Chrysler open house. I'm 6-6 and I had all the leg room I will ever need.I could cross my legs in the back seat. and still have room .There's plenty of room in the front as well. I have a Quad 04 4x4 Hemi Powered. I'd trade it in in a heart beat for this baby.

Old 08-20-2005, 12:14 AM
HemiMan4451
Champion

nice truck but theyre makin it like the titan with that 4 foot bed

Old 08-20-2005, 02:41 AM
SHAPman
Record Breaker

Thats a 6.5 foot bed. Its based on the long bed chassis. More cab, less box.

Old 08-20-2005, 04:15 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: jgralka

Thats a 6.5 foot bed. Its based on the long bed chassis. More cab, less box.
Pretty good compramise...

Old 08-20-2005, 11:29 PM
ViperGTS
Banned

I agree. The smaller bed looks better anyways.

-Matt-

Quick Reply: 2006 Mega Cab In Production!