Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Nearly everyone's buckling up

Old 10-03-2005, 07:35 PM
2coff
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nearly everyone's buckling up

You have change my mind I'm never wearing one again.

Old 10-03-2005, 07:38 PM
thestealth
Champion

I guess I'll keep on taking my chances.

The Automotive Coalition for Traffic Safety estimates that seat belts have saved 102,115 lives from 1986 through 1998. View their seatbelt clock to see what the number is now.

Virtually every study ever conducted indicates that lap and shoulder belts cut the risk of serious or fatal injury by 40 to 55%.

Consider that in 1997 in North Dakota, 103 people died in a total of 88 fatal accidents on state roads. Of those 103 victims, 77 were riding in cars equipped with seat belts but were not wearing them. Thirty-four of the 88 fatal accidents were one-vehicle rollovers. Rollovers are among the most dangerous types of accidents for unrestrained drivers and passengers, since so many of them are thrown out of their vehicles. For instance, 27 people were thrown out and killed in North Dakota's 1997 accidents.
...the rest of the article.

Old 10-03-2005, 07:41 PM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member

ORIGINAL: 2coff

good

on a side note, thats some interesting info Billy

Old 10-03-2005, 07:47 PM
MGDMike
Champion

ORIGINAL: thestealth

I guess I'll keep on taking my chances.

The Automotive Coalition for Traffic Safety estimates that seat belts have saved 102,115 lives from 1986 through 1998. View their seatbelt clock to see what the number is now.

Virtually every study ever conducted indicates that lap and shoulder belts cut the risk of serious or fatal injury by 40 to 55%.

Consider that in 1997 in North Dakota, 103 people died in a total of 88 fatal accidents on state roads. Of those 103 victims, 77 were riding in cars equipped with seat belts but were not wearing them. Thirty-four of the 88 fatal accidents were one-vehicle rollovers. Rollovers are among the most dangerous types of accidents for unrestrained drivers and passengers, since so many of them are thrown out of their vehicles. For instance, 27 people were thrown out and killed in North Dakota's 1997 accidents.
...the rest of the article.
Nice find!! I thought it was neat to know because I lived in North Dakota from 89-98. I usually go up there once a year but it nice and warm down here in TX I had no idea about those stats. I'll keep on taking my chances as well by buckling up me and my daughter. Some lives are worth saving.

Old 10-03-2005, 08:01 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

They've saved less then 200,000 lives in over 20 yrs.....that seems excessively low to me.

Seat belts are a great safety tool, but even they are faulty. Just like the airbag arguements....we've all seen the stories about the kids and small adults dying from the airbags, but I'm willing to bet we have all seen or had them save lives.

I think each situation is different, and I think even the best of equipment fails. My cousin would be dead today had she worn a seatbelt....but at the same token her mother was saved by wearing it. Seatbelts are just like every other safety tool, they can work and fail even when properly used.

I think the larger issue here isnt seatbelts themselves, but the common sense and intelligence shown by people who drive. You simply dont let a toddler roam the car, if you are too short to reach the pedals you shouldnt be driving the car, if your car is malfunctioning do not continue to drive it.....

If we could resolve more and more of those issues, I think the seat belt issue wouldnt be thrust up at the rest of us so much. Seat belts do save lives....but they also dont prevent accidents.....and that's the issue we should concern ourselves with....

Old 10-03-2005, 08:19 PM
2coff
Record Breaker

Driving should be a privlage not a right. The driving tests are a joke, anyone with very little driving skill can pass, it's in need of a major overhall. Skilled drivers will safe more lifes then anything else.

Old 10-03-2005, 08:24 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

Driving should be a privlage not a right. The driving tests are a joke, anyone with very little driving skill can pass, it's in need of a major overhall. Skilled drivers will safe more lifes then anything else.
That should be the topic of discussion in EVERY safety/driving/automobile meeting/classroom/law bills across the entire country...

Great, great point 2coff

Old 10-03-2005, 08:34 PM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member

ORIGINAL: DevilsReject

They've saved less then 200,000 lives in over 20 yrs.....that seems excessively low to me.

Seat belts are a great safety tool, but even they are faulty. Just like the airbag arguements....we've all seen the stories about the kids and small adults dying from the airbags, but I'm willing to bet we have all seen or had them save lives.

I think each situation is different, and I think even the best of equipment fails. My cousin would be dead today had she worn a seatbelt....but at the same token her mother was saved by wearing it. Seatbelts are just like every other safety tool, they can work and fail even when properly used.

I think the larger issue here isnt seatbelts themselves, but the common sense and intelligence shown by people who drive. You simply dont let a toddler roam the car, if you are too short to reach the pedals you shouldnt be driving the car, if your car is malfunctioning do not continue to drive it.....

If we could resolve more and more of those issues, I think the seat belt issue wouldnt be thrust up at the rest of us so much. Seat belts do save lives....but they also dont prevent accidents.....and that's the issue we should concern ourselves with....

if i read this correctly i think i agree with everything said here.

Old 10-03-2005, 08:35 PM
MGDMike
Champion

Found this on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's website: This is just a quote taken from the pamplet addressed "Initiatives to Address Safety Belt Use" dated July 2003.

Traffic crashes are not only a grave public health concern for our Nation, but also significant economic burden. Traffic crashes cost our economy approximately $230 Billion in 2000, or 2.3 percent of the Gross Domestic Product. This translates to an annual average of $820 for every person living in the United States.
Here is the link to the article NHTSA

This money can be used else where in my opinion. But I do agree that more time needs to be devoted to the practice of safer learning. In Germany they are really strict on driving!

Old 10-04-2005, 12:04 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

lol I'm not trying to change your mind.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't wear seat belts. Just that in my case, it wouldn't have saved me, it would have killed me.

BTW, I was driving good. There is nothing you can do when didn't have monry for tires and they were bald. Switched lanes in hard rain, and hydroplained.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nearly everyone's buckling up