Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Question of the Week Do you still want to see a Dodge Charger Coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 03:18 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Question of the Week Do you still want to see a Dodge Charger Coupe?

Today on the DF Front page we are featuring this week's Question of the Week asking what you think 9 years later about the Dodge Charger sedan.

Were you one of the people who hated the Dodge Charger sedan when it came out in 2005?
Have you grown to like it?
Do you still see a need for a Charger coupe or is the Challenger "Good enough"?

Old 12-16-2013, 04:00 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think a lot of the complaints when it first came out was the concept and what resulted. I think it brought some hope then deflated people a little, even though it too was a 4-door. The concept below, while a 4-door still gave a VERY distinct "I am an aggressive new aged sports car". With their current lineup they do not need a 2dr coupe but most certainly need a sedan unless you look at cross brands as "filling the need". The new Charger does have sport appeal, can come with a 470HP engine. There is a need for this for the family who wants a sports car but cannot afford both. So to the ones who complain.... Buy something else. The current Charger fills a big need.

Last edited by CarGuyOhio; 12-16-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:09 PM
goB1Gred ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When the Charger came out in 05 on the LA frame, I thought it was a massive failure, seeing how the original was a coupe not a sedan. I continued to find it ugly up until the current year model. The 2013 Charger is awesome, it exudes aggressiveness and the fierceness the original portrayed back in the Muscle Car era of the late 60's. But I still think they need a Charger coupe, just to do it a little better justice. The Challenger is nice for the time being, but I feel that a majority of us Lead footed speed craven good ole folks want, no, NEED the Charger Coupe!

Old 12-17-2013, 12:42 PM
hemi4109
Veteran

I don't know what version we're on but since the mid 80's model came out I haven't been a fan of any of the Charger models. The Challenger however I do like quite a bit and actually looks like the muscle car the name originated from. I'm never a fan of multiple cars carrying different badging so I say keep the Charger as a family sports cars and the Challenger as a retro look muscle car. If you start putting 2 doors here and 4 doors there, you end up with a bunch of similar cars that will end up costing the company a fortune to market and sell. Now that concept picture looks a lot better to me than the current model, although it pulls a lot from the Corvette in that angle.

As mentioned before, the Charger most definitely meets the needs of people looking for year round family performance. Parking your car for 5 months of the year sucks believe me. I just don't think we need to try and blend the Charger and Challenger together.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:18 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I've come to like it over the years. I do hope they continue with the retro look and get it right next go around. 4 doors, v8, and retro Charger styling would be another gold mine for the company as the Challenger has been.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:56 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hopefully in a year or so, I will be ready to purchase a brand new car again! Will be my dream car as I feel this will be my last new car purchase in my lifetime. I don't trade or switch vehicles. Whatever I choose, I drove it and maintain it for the long haul. My last purchase was a 2000 Durango R/T which I still drive today and maintain it in near immaculate condition.

My very first sports car I bought just before I went off to college was a 1985 Dodge Shelby Charger. Granted, it was not like the 70's charger, but the lil Shelby had the turbo 2.2 with 5 speed and that little guy can move and run with the best of them back in the 80's. I always tell people, don't discredit Chrysler's 4 cylinder technology. They can best over half of the v8's and provide almost double mpg's. I averaged around 36 mpg on the highway which is still much better than most of today's little hi tech cars. Unfortunately, I got married and started a family and had to let this special guy go in favor for the 2000 Durango. But I made sure it was sold to another car enthusiast that will carry on the torch to keep this lil car in top condition.

If Chrysler comes out with a 2 door charger and have a SRT version, even if they made limited quality special edition charger coupes, I would surely make this my dream car purchase to reminiscent back to my younger days when I had my Shelby Charger.

Last edited by Kensai; 12-20-2013 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:34 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It depends. Should Dodge release a Charger coupe IF the Challenger moves to a completely different platform (much smaller at that). I would say yes. If marketed correctly, the two could possibly co-exist. I would say that if so, the Charger coupe shouldn't be what the 97-03 Grand Prix coupe was to its sedan counterpart. The Charger coupe should strive to look as retro as possible from the front and side but could share the rear with the sedan as well as the interior.

If they remain on the same platform? No, but with one exception. If they were to release one limited production version of the Challenger giving a special Charger looking grill and Charger rear and Charger interior and naming it the Charger coupe then yes. Otherwise no, the two would work against each other and we would lose both.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:36 PM
link040188

a charger coupe is unlikely and shrinking the challenger would be a bad move. their are plans for a new rwd body to refresh the avenger as a small 2dr coupe with rwd we can all hope and pray to the mopar chrysler fiat dodge what have you gods.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:53 AM
grungerockjeeper
Veteran

I personally hate sedans. In fact, I LOATHE THEM. That said, I also am forced to concede the fact that they sell and that equals profit. I can live with the fact that there is a fullsize rwd sedan in the lineup. I just think it should be re-named the Coronet, Polara, Monaco...ANYTHING other than Charger. The 2 door version should be the performance model. It ought to reflect the styling of the sedan, just more aggressive, and when you match them model for model, the 'good stuff' should always favor the coupe. The Challenger is rumored to go to a smaller platform and if it keeps the rwd/2 door with available V8 formula then not only is it more in line with the ponycar theme, its a different experience entirely from a fullsized coupe.

If it were ME running the show, Id offer the LX in sedan form as well as a 'quad coupe' version that keeps the current look but with a clamshell door setup like the RX-8. The Challenger/Avenger could be a smaller rwd platform that would max out with the 3.6L V6/6spd manual in sedan form. The performance version would be a 'true' 2 door coupe would offer the same 345 or 392 Hemi with manual or slushbox options and be more of a ponycar in top form or basic efficient transportation with the base V6/mtx layout. While we're at it, the Dart platform should only be in sedan form at Chrysler. Think 100 series. At Dodge, a 2 or 5 door would round that out, with SRT trim available...Demon, anyone? Turbo setups in low pressure around 200 hp, fwd, manual or auto available on all levels (Chrysler and Dodge) with a high pressure version topping 280 hp, avail awd and mandatory manual for Dodge. Seems that such a layout would be more focused, and directed at the intended markets.

Quick Reply: Question of the Week Do you still want to see a Dodge Charger Coupe?