Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Fixing the US auto industry.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2020, 12:17 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 575 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
That's what the "80% american content" means. 80% of the parts to assemble the car, were produced right here in the states.

I agree with you though. I like the older cars better, simply because they don't have more computers than the space shuttle. When even the friggin' WINDOWS are controlled by a computer, things have gone way to far. Multiple layers of complexity, give a host of new failure points. This complexity also makes them difficult to troubleshoot, and fix. Not to mention radically increasing cost......

That's for troubleshooting at the factory. It's not a new item either. Several years ago, I saw a factory rep plug a computer into a port (I think OBD but it might be a different one.) and he was working the windows and everything. I saw a video of a hacker taking over a Jeep Grand Cherokee to demonstrate remote vehicle control. A few things on my Mazda bother me like electric shifting and parking brake. I'm not even sure electric parking brakes are totally legal. When I got my license, driver training was more intense and one thing the manual said was "a vehicle shall have two forms of braking independent of each other, one of which must be mechanical".. If I have a total electrical failure, I can't down shift or use my emergency parking brake to stop. I thought about getting a Can-Am Spyder motorcycle to replace my Goldwing but saw where they tend to catch fire and then you have NO brakes. One guy had to bail when his caught fire and he had no brakes and had to jump off at 50 mph or burn up.

Old 02-22-2020, 09:09 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

new 2019 and up vehciles have security gateway modules to prevent that kind of hacking

Old 02-22-2020, 09:27 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 575 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by primem
new 2019 and up vehciles have security gateway modules to prevent that kind of hacking

...until hackers find a flaw and it starts all over again. There are people who do nothing but look for back doors they can exploit.

Quick Reply: Fixing the US auto industry.