Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

St Louis Plant to Build Vans for VW

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 07:35 PM
highline95jl
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: St Louis Plant to Build Vans for VW

Thats right I said dealer ****, I hate dealers, ill admit it my dad is the biggest con that ever walked the face of the earth.

Old 01-04-2006, 03:33 PM
jasonwyo
Veteran

ORIGINAL: highrevr/tflea

Report Says Chrysler to Build Minivans for VW in St. Louis
Washington DC November 29, 2005; The AIADA newsletter reported that Bloomberg said that Chrysler will build minivans for Volkswagen AG at its South plant in St. Louis. The VW minivans would be sold in the U.S. and exported abroad, though it is not known when production would start. A spokesman for Chrysler would not comment on the report. DaimlerChrysler has a South and North plant in St. Louis that face each other across a highway. The South plant built 201,000 minivans in 2004.

Somebody didn't do their research. They both are on the north side of I-44 in Fenton, MO. As matter of fact you can't even see the north (truck) plant because the south (van) plant dwarfs it in size.

Old 01-04-2006, 08:39 PM
srtommy
Veteran

The funny thing is that Chrysler will probably give all the good stuff to VW.

Old 01-04-2006, 11:39 PM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

not underpowered anymore!

Confirmed: a 4.0 liter V6 or a new 3.8 liter V6 for minivans and Pacificas. The 4.0 appears to be 255-275 hp (probably 255) with about 275 lb-ft of torque, with a nice torque curve and gas mileage similar to the current 215 hp / 245 lb-ft 3.8 liter V6 (which is rated 18 city, 25 highway, only 1 mpg less than the 3.3).

The new manumatic transmission is apparently not in the cards.

Old 01-07-2006, 02:15 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sweet! More horsepower for soccer moms! I'm sorry, but I just don't see the point of more horsepower for mini-vans...

Old 01-10-2006, 06:50 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Chrysler definitely to make minivans for Volkswagen

Chrysler Group and Volkswagen today announced that they have reached a formal agreement. Production of the future Volkswagen minivan, which is based on the next generation Chrysler and Dodge minivan platform and will be sold only in North America, will begin in 2008.

Chrysler Group President and CEO Tom LaSorda said, "With our manufacturing and platform engineering flexibility, we can deliver a high-quality product specifically tailored to Volkswagen's customers' tastes with little or no substitution effect on the current Chrysler and Dodge minivan lineup."

Allpar.com

Old 01-11-2006, 03:51 AM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: highline95jl

Chrystlers mini vans are greatly under powered. I hate to say it, but even the Windstar and Freestars are quicker than a Town and Country or a Caravan. Im definantly not car biased, I appreciate a car for its worth. My dad owns a little dealer **** here in KC and I drive diffrent stuff all the times. Chrystlers vans definantly need more power.
The Freestar is but the Windstar wasn't. The 4.0L will be plenty powerful with 255 hp & 275 ft-lbs of torque. A six-speed is supposed to be offered the 62TE. Although horsepower and torque is not what minivans are about, it will be nice that they will have the competition defeated in that department. Besides the first Caravans had under 100 hp, and they sold like hotcakes. I hardly think 180 and 205 hp is underpowered in comparison to that. My mom's 3.3L will not win any races but it doesn't feel underpowered. Drive a 2.5L non-turbo Caravan first, then tell me that you think that the 3.3L/3.8L Caravans are greatly underpowered.

Quick Reply: St Louis Plant to Build Vans for VW