Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Here it comes...Dakota SRT-8 6.1 HEMI

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 12:08 PM
ViperGTS
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Here it comes...Dakota SRT-8 6.1 HEMI

The Dakota SRT-8 won't happen. The SRT-8 motor is fist off too big for that size of a truck (which isn't selling good). With the SRT-8, it would only be offered in automatic. I think the manual will show up in 2009 when the Challenger comes out possibly. It might show as an Autostick. The only real difference the Dakota will be seeing is the RT version..

-Matt-

Old 01-03-2006, 01:53 PM
QuickSilver05
Veteran

ORIGINAL: jgralka

ORIGINAL: srenken

6.1L and 5.7L HEMIĀ® have the same size blocks. Both the 5.7L and 4.7L blocks fit in the same frame on the Ram, so it would only be a matter of fabricating a motor mount to make it fit in the Dakota. I would look elsewhere for your reasons as to why this vehicle is not offered.

Your logic here is that because a size 9 can fit into a size ten(4.7 into a ram), then a size ten(5.7 into a dak) should fit in a size 9. Dosen't quite work that way.

Joe
No, what I'm saying is that, in extirior dimensions, the engines are virtually the same size.

Old 01-03-2006, 11:14 PM
dubvipers
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: DevilsReject

It'll never happen....especially the SRT-8 motor. For one, Dodge and Dumler, to steal a phrase, have been feeding us the b.s. for years that the Hemi wont fit in the Dakota. Now you're gonna toss in that 6.1L behemoth? Before you even give us a base 5.7L Hemi?

Not to mention they wont even do a SRT-8 Hemi Ram? That's just stupid....and it sounds like they are really trying to cheapen the whole Dodge Dakota R/T even more then it already is.
true... like what i said longggg ago. DA TRUCK is a MID-SIZED vehicle. not to mention that the hemi's are for large class dodges/chryslers such as charger magnum ram 300c so on so forth but really, i don't really think there would be a 6.1l hemi for the dak but an upgraded V8 or V6 would do. but the ram should have the 6.1l

Old 01-04-2006, 08:40 PM
srtommy
Veteran

If a V-8 can be stuffed into a Solstice, a Hemi can be crammed in to a Dakota. 'Nuff said.

Old 01-04-2006, 08:55 PM
DakotaStone
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the sake of argument, let's see if it ever happens. I don't think that they'll ever stick the 6.1L into the Dak. I would love to see that happen, but it won't.

On the other hand, they may stick the 5.7L into it instead as an option. That'll happen long before the 6.1L. Believe me, I wanted to buy mine with the Hemi, and I was told that they were going to put them in, probably in the 06. That was from the salesperson. I've also heard that they won't put one in. period.

Let's give it some time and see what happens.

Old 01-04-2006, 11:27 PM
dubvipers
Record Breaker

well if the ram was given to SRT and was "redesigned", they can remodel the engine bay and frame to fit the 6.1l

Old 01-05-2006, 11:29 AM
ViperGTS
Banned

It's not a matter whether they can, anything's possible. It all has to do if it will sell.

-Matt-

Old 01-06-2006, 04:59 PM
pirranah
Veteran

why would someone want a srt dak? its small, cramp, and it would prob be as much as a reg cab hemi ram. i think the 4.7 is a good strong engine for the dak, why put a 5.7 in it? the person that wants one is gonna put a 383 or so in a 2nd gen dak. thats just my .02 cents.

Old 01-06-2006, 06:09 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: pirranah

why would someone want a srt dak? its small, cramp, and it would prob be as much as a reg cab hemi ram. i think the 4.7 is a good strong engine for the dak, why put a 5.7 in it? the person that wants one is gonna put a 383 or so in a 2nd gen dak. thats just my .02 cents.

Ummm LOTS of people would want one. At the very least would want a 5.7L Hemi. When the 5.9L R/T's came out.....everybody and their mother wanted one. I know I did and still do. The fact is, this would be simply put, a performance machine. They already have the only V8 motored midsize truck, why not make it two for two with the two fastest production trucks?

Also, you make this the high end Dakota....around the 32,000 mark or so. Trust me, it would sell. Considering the fact that probably half the people buying Ram's only wanted the Hemi engine anyways.

I'd much rather purchase a Hemi powered Dakota then the current R/T model....as it's crapola.

Old 01-06-2006, 07:43 PM
shiltz
Captain

Yeah, the 5.7 or any SRT version would sell well, the Dakota R/T's with the 5.9 were great trucks and were so hard to get ahold of, I owned one before I got my Magnum, I wouldn't even consider the current Dakota R/T though as the 4.7 even in the HO trim isn't a good motor, it's really no better on fuel economy over the 5.7 with MDS and it has so much less power than the 5.7, dodge pushing the fact that the dakota is the only midsize with a V8 is basicaly a joke at this point, sure it is true, but the 4.7 is junk and all the competitors V6's put out around the same hp as it does.

Quick Reply: Here it comes...Dakota SRT-8 6.1 HEMI