Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

International Car of the Year

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 07:29 PM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default International Car of the Year

There are no Academy Awards for cars, but the International Car of the Year (ICOTY) awards are the next best thing. Now in its 10th year, this event brings a bit of Hollywood to chilly Detroit every January.

This year’s winner of Car of the Year is the Dodge Charger. Built on the same platform as the Chrysler 300 (last year’s Car of the Year winner), the Charger features styling of a two-door coupe in a versatile 4-door sedan. Of course, the Charger is available with a powerful HEMI V8 engine.

Meanwhile, Truck of the Year for 2006 is the Hummer H3. Although the smallest of the Hummer lineup, the H3 is easily recognizable as a Hummer, with the trademark grille and bold fender flares. The H3 is fully capable off-road with an electronically controlled four-wheel-drive system combined with features such as a fully locking rear differential, traction control, underbody shielding and GM's StabiliTrak vehicle stability enhancement system.

Unlike other car awards, the ICOTY event is almost as important as the awards themselves. Hosted by Road & Travel Magazine, the awards ceremony is attended by 600 industry leaders and media on the evening before Press Days at the North American International Auto Show (NAIAS).

Like a Hollywood awards show, each presentation was scripted with witty banter, sometimes in rhyming couplets. A live band with vocals provided the soundtrack between presentations, and the entire affair was recorded for rebroadcast on CBS Detroit on Saturday, January 14, the opening weekend of the NAIAS.

Also unique to the ICOTY awards are the required qualities a vehicle must possess to win. “The ICOTY awards focus on the emotional connection between car and consumer; how vehicles reflect our lifestyles and self image, an attitude the average consumer can identify with,” said Road & Travel Magazine Editor-In-Chief Courtney Caldwell.

Winners are chosen by a jury of 12 nationally renowned automotive journalists with ballots tabulated by J.D. Power and Associates. MSN Autos Editor Perry Stern and contributor Ann Job are members of the ICOTY jury.

For the second year running, a special award is given to the best automobile commercial. Called the Heart Sting award, the commercial that evoked the best emotional response was an ad for the Nissan 350Z.

Road & Travel Magazine also recognized veteran automotive journalist David E. Davis, Jr. with its third annual Lifetime Achievement Award. Described as "the dean of America's automotive critics" by Time Magazine, Davis is widely recognized as the guru of the automobile industry. A touching retrospective of Davis’s life was shown, and Davis himself provided a very entertaining look at his own life.

Here are all of the winners from this year’s IOCTY awards ceremony:

Car of the Year
Dodge Charger

Truck of the Year
Hummer H3

Pickup of the Year – “Most Athletic”
Honda Ridgeline

Sports Car of the Year – “Most Sex Appeal”
Pontiac Solstice

Sedan of the Year – “Most Dependable”
Hyundai Sonata

Luxury Car of the Year – “Most Respected”
Mercedes-Benz CLS500

Minivan of the Year – “Most Compatible”
Honda Odyssey

Entry-Level Car of the Year – “Most Spirited”
Audi A3

Crossover of the Year – “Most Versatile”
Dodge Magnum SRT8

SUV of the Year – “Most Resourceful”
Ford Explorer (tie)
Land Rover Range Rover Sport (tie)

Old 01-26-2006, 08:14 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: International Car of the Year

wow..what a load of crap...

im fine with the charger...but the rest?

i like the magnum, alot, but its not really a crossover...

the SLOWstice has sex appeal? maybe if by sex appeal, they mean that women belong in them, and guys want to have sex with women..then yes...

a hyundai, reliable? find someone who owns a hyundai and ask them about it...id say 50% will argue with that

and when is an audi an entry level car? its still like 35 grand...i believe...

Old 01-26-2006, 09:13 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats to the Charger and Magnum... but I definately don't agree with the Soltice, Hyundai and the Explorer...

Old 01-26-2006, 09:24 PM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member

the whole point of this post was to honor the charger. screw everythign else

Old 01-26-2006, 09:24 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

did you make it to the autoshow nicko? they had an SRT8 charger you could climb on, so to speak...

Old 01-26-2006, 09:27 PM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member

no i never made it. i wish i had, but between work, hockey and school i was pretty busy

Old 01-26-2006, 09:29 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honda Ridgeline "Athletic?" B.S. That should go to the SRT-10. The Ridgeline was able to do 0-60 in 8.5 sec with no load but when loaded down in MT's test, it did 0-60 in 11.5 secs. That is not what I call athletic, that is what I call a sugar high and/or caffiene buzz. The HEMI powered Ram only slowed down by 1.2 secs. That is true athletic behavior.

Old 01-27-2006, 08:15 PM
1994shadowman
Captain

ORIGINAL: 97 3.5 Intrepid

Honda Ridgeline "Athletic?" B.S. That should go to the SRT-10. The Ridgeline was able to do 0-60 in 8.5 sec with no load but when loaded down in MT's test, it did 0-60 in 11.5 secs. That is not what I call athletic, that is what I call a sugar high and/or caffiene buzz. The HEMI powered Ram only slowed down by 1.2 secs. That is true athletic behavior.
No Kidding I have seen a SRT-10 beat a Cobra Mustang in a quarter mile. Lets see that Honda do that!

Old 01-27-2006, 08:28 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Finally, Dodge gets some "OFFICIAL" respect.......[sm=happy046.gif]

Dusty

Old 01-27-2006, 08:38 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: dustyloins

Finally, Dodge gets some "OFFICIAL" respect.......[sm=happy046.gif]

Dusty
No kidding! I'm happy to see them get the respect that is long overdue[sm=smiley20.gif][sm=groupwave.gif][sm=massbounce.gif]

Quick Reply: International Car of the Year