Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)
View Poll Results: A poll
Car and Driver Sucks
76.92%
Car and Driver Is Somewhat Accurate
20.51%
Car and Driver Is Always Correct
2.56%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Car & Driver Says SRT-8 Grand Cherokee Loses vs Chevy SS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 10:45 PM
jcbram04
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Car & Driver Says SRT-8 Grand Cherokee Loses vs Chevy SS?

well common now ur taking advice from a mag that says the POS Civic was the car of the year.

Old 02-06-2006, 12:39 AM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

I think car and driver gives chevy way too much credit but they are prolly a bunch of circle jerk homos givin it to each other up their poopers, only to bribe each other w/ compromising photographs of their mishaps to sway their biased results. I dont know what C and D has against Chrysler but their comparissons keep showing who the victor is irregaurdless of what C and D says and anyone with half a brain can see it. CHEVY: "Thanks for the advertising and indirect marketing Car and Driver!" "How much do we owe you?" [:'(]

Old 02-06-2006, 11:39 AM
DCXgageman
Veteran

If memory serves, didn't C&D give COTY to the Thrnderbird in 2000-2001?

I believe that says it all.

Old 02-06-2006, 12:02 PM
ViperGTS
Banned

I think so, that's another fine example!

-Matt-

Old 02-06-2006, 10:41 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: nickoman01

car and driver may be bad, but nothing compares to the load of bull**** consumers reports lie about foreign reliability.
Agreed completely! Car and Driver is bad but Consumer Reports is worse. Yes, this article is a disgrace to automotive journalism. It is a no brainer that the SRT-8 Grand Cherokee kicks the Trailblazer SS sorry @$$ with these numbers. Look at the "sport sedan showdowns" I was complaining about a while back. Wouldn't include any Chrysler products in them because they knew Chrysler products would blow the over priced imports and Caddilac out of the water. Now look at the "reporting" CR does. In a comparison between "family sedans" they compared the Impala vs. the Charger, and other sedans. They complained about both getting 17 mpg, but they were louder about the Charger getting 17 mpg which is more powerful, heavier, faster, and not rated for quite as high fuel mileage. If they were going to be louder about either one not getting good fuel mileage, they should be louder about the Impala getting the same mileage since the Impala is rated for getting higher fuel mileage but doesn't actually achieve it. Not to mention that the Fusion, (either a KIA or Hyundia), Impala, Passat, and some other car were all rated higher than the Charger. The Charger is a much better car than they give them credit, and it is better than a lot of these other cars. Or how they didn't allow Toyota's oil sludge problems affect their reliability ratings, or their problems with the Prius engine shutting down and not restarting has not affecting their reliability ratings. CR is the worst outlet in my opinion.

Old 02-06-2006, 10:42 PM
srtommy
Veteran

One of their negative points about the SRT8 was they said the ESP can't be turned off. Well it can be turned off and I think that is a blunder on bot C&D and Chrysler. The performance would have been better and it would have then taken a negative point away from the SRT in C&D's eyes. Plus, anybody going to use a vehicle like these to tow anything substantial anyway?

Old 02-06-2006, 10:59 PM
clean_sx
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: srtommy

One of their negative points about the SRT8 was they said the ESP can't be turned off. Well it can be turned off and I think that is a blunder on bot C&D and Chrysler. The performance would have been better and it would have then taken a negative point away from the SRT in C&D's eyes. Plus, anybody going to use a vehicle like these to tow anything substantial anyway?
after spending all your money on the JGC SRT8, you wont have anything to tow!

Old 02-06-2006, 11:09 PM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member

esp can be turned off, but you must hold the button down instead of just hitting it over and over again.

it is 4WD, i dont think it matters though.

Old 02-07-2006, 02:59 AM
BJsHemi

Car & Driver needs to get a life. I just bought my last car and driver. How can you take and old out of date body and put it over the SRT/8 GC. The people that did this come back to work the next day while still drunk and put the chevy ahead if the GCsrt8.

Old 02-07-2006, 04:42 AM
BTurk
Professional

You guys need to check your information and read the whole article or feature before you start blasting magazines

First, I completely agree that the Grand Cherokee would run circles around the new Trailblazer SS. I have not read the article you're refering to and can't find it online, but which ever mag wrote it is off-base made the wrong decision in this case

Second, there is no way to completely turn off ESP in the Jeep if it is done the same way as in the LX cars, where are there are 3 levels A) ESP on.... B) ESP Off, all this does is lower the threshold at which it kicks in.....C) Pull the fuse, this disables the ABS and ESP systems, allowing an even higher threshold, however there is still some limiters (either an ignition cut or a fuel cut) in the engine management system that will still intervene.

That being said:

Car and Driver DOES NOT GIVE OUT A TRUCK OR CAR OF THE YEAR AWARD, the magazine you are referring to is Motor Trend. Car and Driver does their 10 Best awards every year, and they award these based on market area, (The 300 won a spot this year).

Whenever Motor Trend does a "Car/Truck/SUV Of The Year Award" the feature is done in two parts...

First there is an article that talks about all the testing and criteria they put into making the decision and second comes the article about the winner. I don't know if this is the case here but a lot of people just skip to the article about the winner. If you read the article about how they come to the decision you would see that the Number One requirement is:

*The vehicle must either be a completely new design or an extensive redesign of an existing model*

So look at the truck market, yeah, the dodge got a minor face-lift but the underpinning (chassis, powertrain) remained unchanged, Ford and Chevy had nothing new, Nissan had the Titan last year or the year before, so did Toyota, so the fact is that this year there really wasn't much competition. The same goes for their Car of the Year, a new verison such as an SRT model does not count or score big points in the contest, otherwise the new Corvette Z06 probably would have won, and DCX has no major new models this year, they have several that came out a year or two ago, and a few coming down the pipeline for the next year or two, so they really didn't have anything competing

Just some things to think about before you go jumping on the magazines

Quick Reply: Car & Driver Says SRT-8 Grand Cherokee Loses vs Chevy SS?