Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

New Police Cruiser!

Old 06-11-2004, 06:11 AM
71kingfish
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Police Cruiser!

from what i found the cops are testing a regular magnum not a sedan of course that dosent mean they wont produce a sedan model for the cops

Old 06-11-2004, 05:41 PM
ChryslerFanatic

The following article says Charger Production will begin April 14, 2005.

A Dodge Charger is now confirmed to be in the works. Many expect it to be shown in January 2006, with production starting in summer 2006; however, others have warned that a shortage of engineering talent (see why) may delay the Charger, especially if any problems crop up with the 300 and Magnum, or if the rumored SUV version takes priority.

This short-wheelbase (we'd guess the same wheelbase as the Airflight) reportedly has suicide doors in back รก la RX-8/Ion, so it looks like a coupe but has the ease of entry of a sedan. One person suggested that this setup is a red herring; and that there would be a Dodge Charger coupe which is closely related to a short-wheelbase Dodge LX sedan which has not yet been named. Either way, a convertible version is almost certain.

One engine option is said to be a 6.1 liter Hemi - which is known to exist, and which has been photographed in the engine bay of an LX car. The performance would comparable to the base Corvette - including handling. That would be quite an achievement.

Other rumored engine options that we do not necessarily find likely are the Mercedes E-Class diesel and a Hemi V-10. Yet more possibilities are a new Hemi that is not the 6.1 or 5.7, a supercharged Hemi (5.7 or 6.1 most likely), and the Mercedes six-speed automatic (which is similar to the five-speed already assembled by Chrysler). Most likely, the base engine will be the 3.5 liter V6, with an optional 5.7 Hemi V8 and an SRT-8 version with the 6.1 V8.

Looks are, well, in the eye of the beholder. Expect minor visual cues around the front fenders to be the only sop to tradition. This will not be a work of art like the original, but it will look like a modern Dodge. The window line is expected to be perfectly straight, as with other LX cars; a scoop effect similar to the original Dodge Charger is expected to be built into the sheet metal. The nose and tail are rumored to be unique to the Charger, with only a few cues to the original. It's worth noting that they could replicate the nose, but not without sacrificing aerodynamics.

Production is reportedly set to begin on April 14, 2005 (tentative date).

Old 06-11-2004, 07:21 PM
georgejetson
Rookie

ORIGINAL: ChryslerFanatic

The following article says Charger Production will begin April 14, 2005.
That article, which I gather you lifted from Allpar, is several months old. Much more info has come to light since then. I wouldn't consider a single word of that to be definitive at this point.

Old 06-11-2004, 08:57 PM
ramfan5.9
Hall Of Fame

me no like new cop cars they shud keep the crown vics they might actually catch us now

Old 06-11-2004, 09:01 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

We get new cop cars every 3 years, no matter what models are due to come out. Hopefully, the timing will be right on this one....[&:]

Old 06-11-2004, 10:26 PM
ramfan5.9
Hall Of Fame

not my town my town got new cars like 6-7 years ago

Old 06-11-2004, 10:45 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

The way the officers treat the cruisers is nuts. All they do is put gas in them, no checking of the oil, tire pressure, nothing. As long as it starts, it's OK to drive, according to them.[:'(]

Old 06-12-2004, 11:51 AM
fortywillys
Professional

As long as they don't bring "The Wraith" dodge police intercepter out revamped with the srt-4 2.4 turbo with even more power and a different rear,they could just as well be in a horse and buggy. Granted if that were to happen i'd love to see it come scream'en up behind me. But then i'd have to trade in my srt-4 for one[sm=smiley15.gif]

Old 06-12-2004, 05:01 PM
ChryslerFanatic

That article did not come from AlPar. It was lifted from an article on the new Charger confirmation about a week ago.

Old 06-12-2004, 07:16 PM
georgejetson
Rookie

ORIGINAL: ChryslerFanatic

That article did not come from AlPar. It was lifted from an article on the new Charger confirmation about a week ago.
Word for word: http://www.allpar.com/cars/lx/dodge-charger.html

That's the original.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Police Cruiser!