Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

ME-412 Mules Being Tested!

Old 05-20-2004, 05:52 PM
redriderbob
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ME-412 Mules Being Tested!

The Chrysler ME Four-Twelve supercar lives. For now, anyway. Eric Ridenour, executive vice president for product development for the Chrysler Group says mules are now being tested while the company examines the potential business case for a midengine quad-turbo V12 exotic wearing the winged badge. Press drives and road tests, he said, should come “within the calendar year.”

That’s a little later than we anticipated when the car was shown at Detroit in January (AW, Jan. 12), but Ridenour says “we’re right on schedule with the plan I developed with Wolfgang (Bernhard, former chief operating officer) before he left. There may have been some misunderstanding,” about what was meant when Bernhard said the car would be driveable in four months. “It is being driven now, but it’s not ready for press tests.”

Bernhard, former CEO of AMG, was COO of the Chrysler Group during development of the ME Four-Twelve. He has since been promoted, and then un-promoted, to head of the Mercedes-Benz Group, where he was due to replace Juergen Hubbert May 1. Instead, after Bernhard bucked chairman Juergen Schrempp’s authority, he saw the reins pulled from his hands. Although still a member of the DaimlerChrysler board, he has no job assignment and is expected to leave the company. Some speculated that the ME Four-Twelve’s strong association with the 43-year-old car guy—who once rode a motorbike powered by a Viper V10 onto the show stand at Detroit—might spell its demise. Ridenour says that’s not so.

“We’re going forward on the original plan, and it will stand or fall on its own merits.”

Ridenour says he has seen no sign of interference or objection to the project from the Mercedes-Benz side of the company, although the ME Four-Twelve—if it hits it design targets—would be faster than even the McLaren-built SLR. “That’s not one of our worries. We’re just looking at the things that go into a business case—how many could you sell for how much? There are people who buy cars like this to drive, some who buy them just because of the specification, the performance numbers, and others who buy them based only on the prestige of the badge on the nose, and we have to work out where we fall among those potential customers.”

Odds seem to be against its eventual production, but Chrysler could still earn some favorable recognition if it can demonstrate that the car meets its extraordinary performance goals, including a 0-60 mph time of under 3.0 seconds and a top speed of 240 mph and a quarter-mile time of 11.0 seconds flat, or better.

“With the kind of performance we’re aiming for, you really have to be careful,” Ridenour said. “We need to prove it out with mules and make sure it’s all solid before we offer the press a chance to drive it. Heck, I’m eager to drive it myself, but it’s not ready for that yet.”

Source: Autoweek

redriderbob

Old 05-22-2004, 05:07 PM
alkholic69
Default RE: ME-412 Mules Being Tested!

damn thats all i have to say it is a kick a$$ car

Old 05-23-2004, 08:16 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Production ME-412's, that has a nice ring to it.[sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley4.gif]

Old 05-25-2004, 03:52 PM
redriderbob
Banned

A great source for some up to date ME-412 information...

http://www.allpar.com/cars/me412.html

redriderbob

Old 05-31-2004, 03:07 AM
Deleted User
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 05-31-2004, 07:33 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

The same ones that buy Lamborghini's, Ferrari's, Saleen S7's, Porsche's, etc. You know, like Jay Leno.[sm=smiley36.gif]

Old 05-31-2004, 04:30 PM
Deleted User
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 05-31-2004, 04:40 PM
georgejetson
Rookie

Saleen doesn't have much pedigree other than recent racing success. Chrysler could run the ME Four Twelve at Le Mans for a few years and if they have some success, then boom, they have a pedigree. Worked for Viper. (In fact, I wish they'd go back to Le Mans with the current Viper, but that's another rant for another day.)

Old 06-01-2004, 08:29 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

The Viper is back, but it is currently too fast for it's previous class and not quite fast enough for the fastest class. It is currently only usable in one of the three race series.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ME-412 Mules Being Tested!