Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Viper & Firepower Rumor Round-Up

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 09:13 PM
ViperGTS
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Viper & Firepower Rumor Round-Up

I agree it's not impressive, but then you've got to take into consideration how much lighter the Vette is. The Viper is like a heavy granny town car compared to it.

Old 05-03-2006, 09:31 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: ViperGTS

I agree it's not impressive, but then you've got to take into consideration how much lighter the Vette is. The Viper is like a heavy granny town car compared to it.
How much heavier? Spare me that arguement....its 200lbs heavier and has 2 extra cylinders of power......a whopping 1.3L of extra motor....that's a bad arguement....

Old 05-03-2006, 10:09 PM
ViperGTS
Banned

Two hunded pounds is nearly 12% of a car's weight. I don't think there isn't an arguement we can't agree on or haven't already discussed..

Old 05-03-2006, 10:35 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: ViperGTS

Two hunded pounds is nearly 12% of a car's weight. I don't think there isn't an arguement we can't agree on or haven't already discussed..
I suggest you re-do your math, Matt. The Viper weighs 3300lbs.....10% of that is 330lbs....so 200lbs is more like 6-7% at best....and even after adding that extra 115-150hp....its only gaining the same times as the current 06 Z06 Corvette? That's ridiculous.

Edit: The curb weight is 3380lbs and the 10% of that would be 338lbs.

Old 05-03-2006, 11:12 PM
Jviper
Veteran

Theres really only one thing the viper needs stomp the z06. Fix the vipers rear end gear, which is 3:07. Change it to 3:73. [8D]

Old 05-04-2006, 12:34 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys... The ONLY sure facts we have are that this Viper has body changes and is on a new platform. That's it. The Viper could very well be lighter and have a new gear set up... We never know. Derrick and Matt, you're both jumping to conclusions... I'm willing to bet this Viper will be lighter and have new gears. I already know it's sleeker and will be faster.

ORIGINAL: srtommy

There must be a long echo in this forum.

Did someone say Firepower?? Someone did before. And everyone poo-poo'ed him.
What in the world are you talking about?

Old 05-04-2006, 01:17 AM
dubvipers
Record Breaker

i think they need some more technology into the engine of the Viper's V10. It took us 8.3L to make 510HP. but it takes Vette to make 505HP with 7.0L. Do you guys think we need a whole lot more technology in it? or just a little bit more?

Old 05-04-2006, 02:33 PM
vipersforsale
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: DevilsReject

Hate to break it to you, but thats not impressive AT ALL. The base model Corvette with the LS2 400hp motor does 0-60mph in 4.2 seconds. The current 2006 Z06 Corvette does 0-60 in 3.5 seconds ALREADY.....

So with an added 215hp it only shaved .8 seconds off what a base model 40k Corvette can do???? Sounds like you arent getting your money's worth to me.
your math is off... Chevy went from a $44.5K to a $65.7K Vette to shave off ".7 seconds", thats $21.2K difference for that .7 sec.

Performance isnt cheap any way you look at it... but somehow spending $21,000 extra for just .7 secs doesnt seem quite worth it either does it! And I have driven both the base model and the Z06 versions and I would still take a '97-2002 Viper over them any day of the week.

Old 05-04-2006, 02:58 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: vipersforsale

ORIGINAL: DevilsReject

Hate to break it to you, but thats not impressive AT ALL. The base model Corvette with the LS2 400hp motor does 0-60mph in 4.2 seconds. The current 2006 Z06 Corvette does 0-60 in 3.5 seconds ALREADY.....

So with an added 215hp it only shaved .8 seconds off what a base model 40k Corvette can do???? Sounds like you arent getting your money's worth to me.
your math is off... Chevy went from a $44.5K to a $65.7K Vette to shave off ".7 seconds", thats $21.2K difference for that .7 sec.

Performance isnt cheap any way you look at it... but somehow spending $21,000 extra for just .7 secs doesnt seem quite worth it either does it! And I have driven both the base model and the Z06 versions and I would still take a '97-2002 Viper over them any day of the week.

Actually, my math isnt off. Well, I was wrong in saying 8 seconds, it should be 7. But, the rest of my math isnt off. Read the statement. With a 40k Corvette, I can go 0-60 in 4.2 seconds out of a 400hp V8. The Z06 does it in 3.5 sec with the 500hp V8.

Now, adding an additional 215hp over what a base model Corvette has....and the best you can do is 3.5 sec in 0-60???? The current Z06, which is going to be almost 3 yrs old by the time this new model Viper comes out.....already does 0-60 in 3.5 seconds with a whopping 500hp. So you added 115-150hp and you cant do anything but MATCH the Corvette? That's horrible.

The point was never about money, but the fact that even after you spend close to 100k....your barely going much faster then a base model Corvette.....at least as far as 0-60 and possibly 1/4 mile times....that's not something a Viper owner would be happy about....

Old 05-04-2006, 04:06 PM
vipersforsale
Record Breaker

actually it is... here's why

Production of the Viper SRT will be in the 2500 units per year area and production of the vette base model will be in the 50,000+ units per year area.
That pretty much does it right there.

Go drive by your local Chevy dealer and count how many vettes are sitting out front(the one nearest me has over 20) then cruise by the dodge dealer and see how many they have sitting out there(for me the closest 4 have 0, inside or out).

The trouble with your logic is all about the numbers, it isnt always about numbers, otherwise Ferrari, Porsche, Lotus, Acura and a half dozen other exotic car manu's would never be able to sell any cars here in the states. Each car has its own feel, own mystic and own personality just like the drivers that own them do. If it was all about numbers then those biased bastards over at consumer reports would have us all driving toyota camrys home wouldnt they. But as we all know better, each of us likes our own flavor and thank goodness a bland four door **** box just doesnt do it for me.

Quick Reply: Viper & Firepower Rumor Round-Up