Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

American automakers losing in profit margin comparison

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 12:58 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default American automakers losing in profit margin comparison

http://www.bloggingstocks.com/2006/1...in-comparison/

Old 10-06-2006, 09:16 PM
ViperGTS
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: American automakers losing in profit margin comparison

And you guys won't beleive me that American cars suck. Oh Dodge this, Cadillac that. People want reliable cars with good looks at a good price that addresses a current issue (example: gas prices). It's all that.

Old 10-06-2006, 10:41 PM
shiltz
Captain

Actualy that's not really the issue for profit margins, the issue is that Most foreign contries, Japan included, pay skilled labor type workers hardly anything, i'd bet guy stuffing jelly into the jelly filled donuts at dunkin donuts makes more than the people who assembly those cars in Japan, it's easy to make money when you pay your workers squat.

Old 10-09-2006, 05:59 PM
Pitt Ram
Rookie

Americian care arent realible???

Look at my dodge stratus...124,000+ miles

my grandmothers 1985 Dodge Dakota 167,000 miles

as long as you take care of them they will last.....I hate when people say americain cars arent realiable[:'(]

Old 10-09-2006, 07:42 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: ViperGTS

And you guys won't beleive me that American cars suck.
Can't wait to see the problems you'll start having with that 85 Benz... or already had before you got it... either way, hows that 0-60 in 15 seconds treatin' ya?

Old 10-12-2006, 12:58 AM
grungerockjeeper
Veteran

Thats not it at all. Most japanese cars (that are sold here) are made here. But, they dont have to contend with the unions. And they dont have the burden of millions of retirees (now non-productive) still getting damn near full paychecks. Im not saying throw them out, but 401Ks should have come along a LONG time ago, those people would be taken care of, and thats a fat chunk of cash that the auto companies wouldnt have to shell out.

The american companies have to do 2 things to become profitable:

1-Boot out the unions. They served their purpose. Yes, at one time they were necessary but now its just a burden on american industry and a major catalyst for inflation.

2-Start building cars that someone gives a **** about. DCC has done this repeatedly. First with buying Jeep, which is guaranteed profit, what with its history, notoriety, and commitment to performance. Then came the Viper and the '93 redesign of the Ram. Now with the 300, Magnum, Charger and most importantly the Challenger. Keep up the good work. Ford did it with the '05 Mustang, but look like they'll drop the ball on building a new version of the classic Bronco. Chevrolet has finally started to wake up with the SSR and Camaro.

What we're losing sight of is sticking with what we do best. The Japanese companies build the best Camries and corollas around. We cant compete with that. We'll have to make midsize sedans to make money, and to offer something to the average Joe but thats not what buyers come to the American companies for. BMW cant build a Wrangler. Toyota cant build a Challenger. Hyundai cant build a Corvette. Only we can do that. And having those rides around to drool over is what'll suck in potential buyers who really want those, but are stuck having to buy a minivan or midsize sedan. If they go to slobber over the new challenger, that'll put them right in the line of fire for a Caravan sales pitch.

Old 10-12-2006, 03:29 AM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member

ORIGINAL: grungerockjeeper

Thats not it at all. Most japanese cars (that are sold here) are made here. But, they dont have to contend with the unions. And they dont have the burden of millions of retirees (now non-productive) still getting damn near full paychecks. Im not saying throw them out, but 401Ks should have come along a LONG time ago, those people would be taken care of, and thats a fat chunk of cash that the auto companies wouldnt have to shell out.

The american companies have to do 2 things to become profitable:

1-Boot out the unions. They served their purpose. Yes, at one time they were necessary but now its just a burden on american industry and a major catalyst for inflation.

2-Start building cars that someone gives a **** about. DCC has done this repeatedly. First with buying Jeep, which is guaranteed profit, what with its history, notoriety, and commitment to performance. Then came the Viper and the '93 redesign of the Ram. Now with the 300, Magnum, Charger and most importantly the Challenger. Keep up the good work. Ford did it with the '05 Mustang, but look like they'll drop the ball on building a new version of the classic Bronco. Chevrolet has finally started to wake up with the SSR and Camaro.

What we're losing sight of is sticking with what we do best. The Japanese companies build the best Camries and corollas around. We cant compete with that. We'll have to make midsize sedans to make money, and to offer something to the average Joe but thats not what buyers come to the American companies for. BMW cant build a Wrangler. Toyota cant build a Challenger. Hyundai cant build a Corvette. Only we can do that. And having those rides around to drool over is what'll suck in potential buyers who really want those, but are stuck having to buy a minivan or midsize sedan. If they go to slobber over the new challenger, that'll put them right in the line of fire for a Caravan sales pitch.

holy **** are you me that is like my lien and that debate is where like 1/2 my posts came from. haha. anyways welcome to the site.

Old 10-13-2006, 12:29 AM
grungerockjeeper
Veteran

Thanks man. Glad to see someone else can see thru all the BS....

But I forgot the 3rd and BIGGEST parasite thats sucking down the profitability of our automakers and thats Uncle Sam.

It seems to me that with all the emissions, fuel mileage, and safety mandates that are constantly burdening them down, the car companies will never be able to keep up. If all these things are so great, then why do we need the government shoving them down our throats as opposed to letting the market--in other words those of us who are spending our hard earned cash--be the ones to determine whats acceptable and what isnt.

Personally, Im sick and tired of some government bureacrat or an insurance company calling the shots. Its not like the demand isnt there for a Wrangler with a V-8, because the gas crunch in the 70s was way worse and look how many CJs had the 304. Choking down a performance oriented vehicle with $2000 worth of emissions crap that I dont want in the first place is just plain retarded. It complicates the car, costs big $$ to replace when it screws up, and it hurts performance and mileage. The pollution created by manufacturing catalytic converters and other such crap outweighs what they prevent, and this is all so the guy who owns Catalytic Converters R Us (some politicians brother in law) can get rich.

Ok, end rant.

Quick Reply: American automakers losing in profit margin comparison