Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Special Edition Charger Daytona for 2006!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 04:06 AM
redriderbob
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Special Edition Charger Daytona for 2006!

Thats going to be hard, since there hasn't even been pictures of the regular model 2006 Dodge Charger out yet! lol. But when I do, you'll be the first I show!

redriderbob

Old 08-04-2004, 11:20 AM
SHAPman
Record Breaker
Default RE: Special Edition Charger Daytona for 2006!

I stand corrected, sniff sniff kinda hard to take being wrong about vintage mopars, for that is my true passion. I must have lost my head. Maybe its the midnight shift. But the main point is that chrysler started using rapid transit back in the 60's. I still think they should put the / back in R/T. But hey just my two cents. I just work for them, and I don't get paid to think!

Joe

Old 08-05-2004, 06:38 PM
automan

This might give us a glimpse of what it may look like. Also, some cool renderings of the new Camero on this site too.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/fea...dge/index.html

Old 08-05-2004, 07:41 PM
Kingelvis
Rookie

hey RR bob

Thanks for the info - Dodge should be paying you a pretty penny for whetting the Mopar appetite so effectively.

Don't want to pick nits, but was there actually a six pack Duster? That was the AAR Cuda deal only, wasn't it? Also, RTS included Cudas with 340 and 383 as well as the 426 and 440 - essentially all the 'performance' Plymouths that year. While they might have had 13 second 'potential' probably only the Hemi RR or Cuda could break into the 13s on regular tires.

Sounds like the Charger performance versions will be pricey. If the R/T Daytona is going to be that dolled up, then the SRT Charger, with it's 6 speed and bigger engine will probably sell for $40K - that's near Corvette country, although the Charger would be a viable family car and not just a 'third car' meant only for fun.

Another thing to ponder: are all the 300C and Magnum buyers going to wish they waited for the more Boss Charger to come along?

Old 08-06-2004, 10:51 AM
SHAPman
Record Breaker

Bob,

Ypu did mention a six pack duster. I think his question was, was there a six pack duster. Which if I remember right there was not.

Joe

Old 08-06-2004, 02:40 PM
Kingelvis
Rookie

I just bought a '69 Chrysler 300 convertible and was drawn to a website called "Mopar Fuselage styled full size cars" and they have really neat scans of the old brochures - there's also a great site called oldcarbrochures.com that has similar scans. Anyway, I ran across the '70 Fury brochure and it featured a model I read about in some of those old "Brookland AE" books where they reprint the car tests from Car Life and old Car and Driver, etc.

Anyway the ostensibly "muscle" model evidently was NOT part of the so called rapid transit system. It was called the "S-23" (here we see shades of Pontiac's similar single year attempt to rename the Lemans "T-37" in '71) and it was essentially a 'tape stripe' version of the Fury GT, which was a model that was around only for '70 and '71. The S-23 shared the GT's standard 3.23:1 axle, plus the hidden headlights, hood stripes, body 'strobe' stripes, road wheels and H-70 white letter tires.

While the S-23 had a front sway bar, the GT had the more extensive 'heavy duty' suspension and differed in offering the 350hp 440 standard, while the S-23 had the 318 standard. Surprisingly, you still got the 3 speed manual as standard on S-23 while the GT had Torqueflyte standard.

It struck me that I would love to see a kind of S-23 2006 Charger - one that would have the cool looks of the Daytona or RT or SRT but either a necked down version of the Hemi V-8 (perhaps a 292cid) or the 4.7 sohc as the engine, but would sell for less. I've heard that no 'small' versions of the Hemi would be produced, but then they could just alter the combustion chamber slightly and call it a 'magnum' or 'commando' or 'tnt' instead. For that matter they might just call it something else just because it's smaller.

I'll have to dig up my old rapid transit ad - the two page spread where they have all the cars lined up on a racetrack and the detailed specs below. Maybe that'll have a six pack (ok that was Dodge's name) or rather +6 340 Duster. I just had thought that while people hot rod the 340 with the tri carbs, you couldn't actually buy one new. Seems that would be a fearsome combination - 290hp (way under-rated) and 3300lbs.

Old 08-06-2004, 03:31 PM
redriderbob
Banned
Default Special Edition Charger Daytona for 2006!

Yes there were both 340+6 or 340 Six Pack versions of the Duster and the Dodge Demon!

redriderbob

Old 09-25-2004, 01:53 AM
BIGMOPAR

There were never any production 6 pack Dodge Demons or 6 barrel Plymouth dusters, Although Mr. Norm Installed the Induction system on these cars but were never available from the factory with the setup.

Old 09-30-2004, 11:16 PM
redriderbob
Banned

Well the Mr. Norm ones were the ones I was talking about. However, for the actual RTS brand, the Duster came w/ the 340ci "WEDGE" V-8 which pumped out somewhere around 275 horsepower.

redriderbob

Old 10-01-2004, 10:49 AM
TeeWJay426
Record Breaker

The only factory small-block 3-2barrel setups were the '70 Challenger T/A and Plymouth AAR Cuda- period. They were only available that one year. If I recall correctly, Mr Norm's even modified a few Demons and Dusters with Paxton superchargers- I believe they were given the designation 'GSS'.

Quick Reply: Special Edition Charger Daytona for 2006!