Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Dodge's New Crossover Spotted!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 01:14 PM
redriderbob
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge's New Crossover Spotted!

Chrysler and Dodge crossovers coded JC49 and JZ49 are set to be produced starting in December 2007, with large-scale exports to Europe starting in 2010 (perhaps set to coincide with a new diesel powerplant?). The JC49, at least, is planned to be part of Chrysler's long-delayed serious entry into Europe. One of them might be named PT Cruiser but would not be recognizable to current owners. The Toluca plant is set for a $1 billion upgrade to allow production of the new crossover alongside the PT Cruiser; it built 177,370 PT Cruisers in 2005, not bad for a "fad car" in its fourth year. A JZ49 version of the Dodge crossover may arrive around 2010.

DCX reportedly plans to stop PT Cruiser production in 2009, using the newly-found capacity to export 60,000 D-segment crossover vehicles to Northern Europe.

The JC49 will also be built in China for local use.

Glenn Paulina wrote:

Dodge engineers have begun testing prototypes for a new crossover vehicle to do battle with the Ford Edge, Toyota Highlander, and the rest of the conventional crossover crowd. This new model, known internally as the JC49, is based on the new Chrysler Sebring and Dodge Avenger sedans, although it is clearly larger than its platform-mates.

Despite the camouflage, typical Dodge styling cues show through. The cross-hair grille design takes after the Avenger, the headlights appear to have some of the Nitro's detailing, while the chiseled shoulder line, flared wheel arches and chunky lower body sculpting appear somewhat Caliber-inspired. The tail-lights have Dodge's typical red lenses with white bands, as on the Charger and Avenger. The prototype also displays a fetching profile, thanks to a nicely raked windshield and a rising beltline which gives this new Dodge a fairly athletic stance.

Reps have described this model as a "new concept crossover," but from what we can see here it's pretty much what you would expect from the mainstream crossover offering. Where this model might cause a stir is in price, if initial reports of a starting price around $20,000 hold true. This looks like a lot of car for twenty-grand. To go for that price, we expect that it will be offered in both four- and six-cylinder forms. This seems to fit the evidence we have seen on the testing circuit, since, in addition to the dual exhausts visible on the prototype in our photos, we spotted another prototype sporting a single exhaust.

Dodge's new midsize CUV will be built in its updated Toluca, Mexico assembly plant, alongside the PT Cruiser. Dodge planners hope for 150,000 annual sales of this model. A production run in the east China province of Fujian is reportedly also planned, for export to other markets outside of North America. The JC49 is expected to reach the market in early 2008. A Chrysler spin-off is possible for 2010, likely serving as the replacement for the Pacifica.

allpar.com

redriderbob
[align=left] [/align]

Old 12-19-2006, 01:18 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Default RE: Dodge's New Crossover Spotted!

Looks like a Dodge version Pacifica....big n bulky......just one more vehicle that Dodge and Chrysler really DONT NEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-19-2006, 02:20 PM
shiltz
Captain

Yeah, my sentiments exactly, they don't need it at all, looks like a Dodge version of the Pacifica or asomewhat less boxy Nitro is all, and seems to be around the same size too, definatly an completely un-needed addition to the lineup.

Old 12-19-2006, 03:45 PM
MGDMike
Champion

[:'(]Blech! They'll have some hyped up commercials for it though but I don't give it fair forecast either.

Old 12-19-2006, 05:13 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah..amanda and i saw one about a week ago...i didnt bother taking a picture...

Old 12-19-2006, 08:53 PM
jadigaba

Looks almost like a minivan, with a shorter roof. I won't turn my head if one drives by...

Old 12-20-2006, 04:08 AM
wildbill
Veteran

It looks like its somewhere between the magnum and nitro. I'm not sure how its going to turn out, can't really tell if I'm going to like the grill as much as I like the nitro's - I really the styling their doing for that, but I can't really see enough to judge this one. The commercials they've been coming up for the nitro have been sweet, so we'll have to see.

Old 12-24-2006, 01:20 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: DevilsReject

Looks like a Dodge version Pacifica....big n bulky......just one more vehicle that Dodge and Chrysler really DONT NEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Agreed. WHHHHYYYYYY!!!!!!???????

Old 12-27-2006, 03:21 PM
wildbill
Veteran

Are you saying that dodge doesn't need the nitro either? I was under the impression that it was built to go against the xterra, equinox,... and that its doing really well - selling like crazy. Anyway, I'll reserve my judgement - also you should check out the myspace page they made for the nitro www.myspace.com/nitro - its really well done and they let you customize the page, pretty cool.

Old 12-28-2006, 02:46 AM
ViperGTS
Banned

No more SUVS Dodge....that was so like 2005. Where are your hybrids and sport sedans?

Quick Reply: Dodge's New Crossover Spotted!