Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Are junk yards coming to an end?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 01:57 PM
topsites
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are junk yards coming to an end?

I remember years ago (late 80's, early 90's) when I'd go to a junk yard...
First, they almost always had my model and make of car, and then the vehicle had so many salvageable parts it was a matter of having to pull myself away from it after I got the part I needed plus a half dozen more just to get outta there before I spent a fortune. You could almost always safely assume you'd find your part, and most cars still had a lot of salvageable stuff.
But nowadays?
Sheeee... Make a list of at least 10 parts that are needed and go through every one of your cars to make this list, then hope to find just ONE car like yours and hopefully 2-3 parts AND be prepared to drive to several junk yards. And it seems to be getting worse, over the past year it appears like it's getting harder and harder to find parts at the junk yard. Less cars, a lot of really decrepit stuff that's been all picked through, hardly any useable parts left on hulls that have been sitting...
Yet, get on ebay and blam, 20 minutes later I got my part on order...

I mean, there are more cars on the road today than ever before, so surely a lot more are getting banged up - The junk yards should be brimming with parts salvageable vehicles (but they're not, at least around here it's almost like vehicles are becoming a rare item at the junk yard).

One of the yards further out is up for sale...

Has anyone else noticed this, and is it related to anything?
One might think that folks are raiding the junk yards to re-sell stuff on ebay, but it doesn't make sense because ebay's prices are pretty competitive (so there would be little to no money in doing this)...

Old 01-03-2007, 02:07 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Are junk yards coming to an end?

there is a huge junkyard back by my parents house, and when i went home to visit recently, i saw that it was almost empty.

my dad knows the owner, and said that the reason that he is getting out of it is that there are too many salvage yards online now, and there are so many legal restrictions on junkyards. they have to take so much precaution with fluids and such, to "save the environment"...

also, it seems that a car has to be destroyed before it gets sent to the junkyard, so many of the parts that you wouldnt buy online are damaged.

Old 01-04-2007, 01:18 AM
ViperGTS
Banned

Junk yards are out of date, some places keep inventory and an online list so it's easier to know what parts are available and exactly where they're at in the facility. There are still a few around, I preffer looking and pulling myself. It makesthings interesting and you choose quality levels. However you risk yourself and with lawsuits, that's probably why they're switching to inventory.

Old 01-04-2007, 05:25 AM
MoparMJM
Record Breaker

There are very few "you-pull" yards around anymore... These are the ones I prefer because it tends to keep prices down, but the only one I know of in Metro Detriot only has 1997 and older cars

I went to a Salvage yard to pick up a mirror for my brothers neon, I had to wait 3 days for it to be shipped to the yard... Thought that was kinda odd

Old 01-12-2007, 10:21 PM
chfjim
Veteran

NO WAY! I would be out of a Job.
I run a VERY Large "JUNK" yard and there is no way were coming to an end.
We go thru 45,000 cars per year, in our three yards and probably over 500,00 throught out our company.
We service all walks of the Customer line, Body shops, Internet(ebay), Retail walk in, Self service and Full service.
We also sell thru most Advance Auto Parts Store's.
Maybe the Mom and Popshops will but we got enough parts to service alot of Cars.
I ship out almost a 200 parts a day!
We can get most Parts from our Region (8 states) the Next day.
You can go to www.LKQCORP.com to View our Inventory (1969-2007) anywhere in the Country!

Old 01-12-2007, 11:05 PM
MoparMJM
Record Breaker

Which location are you at? Im down near Belleville alot (Van Buren) So if I need a part I may go there from now on.

Old 01-14-2007, 01:03 AM
chfjim
Veteran

A-Reliable in IL Anything we got can be there next bussiness Day!

Old 01-14-2007, 06:46 AM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have carpet by chance, slate gray, for a 2006 Dodge Dakota Club Cab?

Old 01-14-2007, 08:53 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 3 junkyards around me with in a 20 km range. theres one big one in my town that has mostly newer vehicles in it. and they have everything on a computer. and theres anther smaller one just down the road and they have mid 90's cars in there and they do it old school. and theres on just on the outside of town and they have older cars. and its mostly a pull it your self kinda place. which i love. and it's alot cheaper. I just like walkin around in junkyards and see what they have and look at all the older vehicles.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:24 AM
chfjim
Veteran

I know we had one 06 Dakota In, I'll check and get back to you!

Quick Reply: Are junk yards coming to an end?