Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

HAHAHAHAHAHA Corvette SS WHAT?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 01:17 PM
thestealth
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HAHAHAHAHAHA Corvette SS WHAT?????

This kind of HP war only benefits the consumers. Reminiscent of the late 60's. We, as performance enthusiasts, should embrace this, instead of picking sides and chucking rocks. It's not gonna last forever, so enjoy the moment.

ORIGINAL: DevilsReject

What did we get? Rebadged Mitsubishi clones.....
Heyyyy....I resemble that statement.

Old 01-10-2007, 01:36 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, we have no real proof if that 3rd edition Viper will ever see production...so I'll hold my breath on that one. The fact is, it's the NAIAS, and chances are it was merely built to show what can be done with factory MOPAR aftermarket parts......I see it as kind of a teaser to Viper owners to show what CAN be done rather then what could be done.....that's not to say you arent correct. This could very well be a tier 2 option, which would then give us a "base" Viper.

As for insurance on a Viper.....come on....anything that's produced in limited quantities and is expensive is going to be costly on insurance.....not to mention fast. Throw on top of that that the OEM parts for the Viper are so costly, it's a target for theft.

The Corvette has always been one of the most expensive American sportscars......and the ONLY reason that the Viper exceeds the cost of the Corvette is the V10 motor.....throw that out and they'd price out at around the same cost....granted...I am indeed referring to the Z06 model here....as the Z06 is a limited edition model and is totally different from the base Corvette.
Okay, I'll give you that. Since it isn't 100% sure for production, it isn't guaranteed. I would provide another example but I don't want to beat my point to death.

I think there is more to the Viper's expense than just the V10 engine, granted it is a huge factor, but I think there is more to it than just that. The Viper is made of heavier parts, which if I'm not mistake, cost more. The Viper provides a stronger chassis, now this could partly be blamed on the fact that it needs it for the V10, but still all in all it's just a higher quality car in terms of the build. Isn't it hand built?

Also what do you think is going to be morevaluable in 20-30 years?My bet would be on the Viper by a significant margin.

Thelast GOODMonte Carlo SS was built in the80's.....V8, RWD, and 300hp.
There was a 300hp Monte Carlo SS in the 80s? If you have info on this, I'd love to see it. I agreeit was the last Good Monte Carlo.

Old 01-10-2007, 01:42 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: thestealth

What did we get? Rebadged Mitsubishi clones.....
Heyyyy....I resemble that statement.
Yea, but the Stealth was a hot rebadge. The Colt on the other hand... well, its fun to drive.

And what DevilsRejects said about GM and Ford keeping their performance vehicles is true. It's kind of a weak argument when Dodge killed production on anything that had *****. Granted, we got the Viper in 1992?, but like DR said, we can kinda put that off to the side, as its not too affordable, nor widely available.
Besides the Viper, we're still waiting for DCX to release a non-sedan, sports car (or whatever you want to call it) that is affordable. But with their love affair with sedans, what do you expect? (We are getting the Challenger, finally,a decentcoupe!)
If the Viper was to be made by GM, and the 'Vette by Dodge, nothing would really change. The appeal, for me at least,would probably still be the Viper still, because of limited quantities (and sexy good looks). Thats what makes it cool. (And the V-10, of course)
People can get a Ford GT for $15X,000. They don't buy it because it has the same performance specs as a $80,000 Viper (more or less), they buy it because they like it, and not everyone has one.

Theres only thing I think when I hear the Z06 can run with the Viper: the snake needs more venom, and I'm sure it will get it.

Old 01-10-2007, 01:49 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: 97 3.5 Intrepid
Thelast GOODMonte Carlo SS was built in the80's.....V8, RWD, and 300hp.
There was a 300hp Monte Carlo SS in the 80s? If you have info on this, I'd love to see it. I agreeit was the last Good Monte Carlo.
Was a typo , I got happy fingers and wasnt paying attention, it should read 200hp. The stock numbers were around that number....slightly less or so....but the motor was fully capable of being a beast...

The Buick GNX's were putting down somewhere around the 270hp/350ftlb torque mark...and those numbers were not exact, as the car ran a low-mid 13 second quarter mile....the standard Grand National was pushing 245hp....

Old 01-10-2007, 02:00 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there was a colt club at nopi last year...the pictures do the talking...this was one of the SLOWER ones in the club, as it wasnt made for drag racing...

one of the other guys in the club went low 10s...

[IMG]local://upfiles/2745/2A0D6328750749E9BA4BB8398E3AD16D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/2745/91292B8CA3BA42F1B4D8044C9E8A9A60.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/2745/00D6DF8F45784216AD4153BD833C4E70.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/2745/9872F691BB5C404F94FE941D06F5C3C3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-10-2007, 02:05 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: thestealth

This kind of HP war only benefits the consumers. Reminiscent of the late 60's. We, as performance enthusiasts, should embrace this, instead of picking sides and chucking rocks. It's not gonna last forever, so enjoy the moment.
i agree 100%...i dont know why so many dodge enthusiasts are so angry that GM has finally gotten something right...the Z06 is one bad mamma jamma...and the viper will now counter, but i dont think that GM is just going to sit by and do nothing like ford does...hence the blue devil/SS/Z06/whatever they call it, if it makes it to production. the ridiculous thing is that we are bickering over cars that may not ever see production...and is that a slick tire on the front that i see, making it a full race model? it looks more like the new comp coupe to me than a production model...and if you want to talk race models...shall i bring up the C5R? there is likely a C6R, but i havent read up on it, or seen one in person...

Old 01-10-2007, 02:16 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, the Colt hatchback. That looks all too familiar. Haha..
With the power that thing dyno'ed with, it must be really fun to drive. Since I had enough fun with a plain jane,81HP/91ft*lbs.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:47 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was a typo , I got happy fingers and wasnt paying attention, it should read 200hp. The stock numbers were around that number....slightly less or so....but the motor was fully capable of being a beast...

The Buick GNX's were putting down somewhere around the 270hp/350ftlb torque mark...and those numbers were not exact, as the car ran a low-mid 13 second quarter mile....the standard Grand National was pushing 245hp....
Okay, that's what I thought. Yes the GNX was one impressive machine. I think the only luxury car that GM has made since then that can match its acceleration is the STS-V.

Old 01-10-2007, 06:24 PM
MG42pillbox
Veteran

ORIGINAL: BadStratRT

ORIGINAL: MG42pillbox

Yes you would be stupid enough to think Chrysler group could afford to make any type of larger V8 sports cars in the 70s and 80s. Oh and in 1978 The Dodge truck was faster than the Stang, Maro, and Vett. Yea GM and Ford were really making great muscle cars back then and in the 80s. Make up my mind? The car is whatever anyone wants it to be, publications have called it all both muscle, sports, and race. Maybe its because its every one of those things, its so good it can satisfy all 3 parts and has been doing so for 15 years. Oh but wait, I have not even called it a race car, I said it was appreciated by sports car enthusiasts, even in Europe. You obviously know nothing about American car history first off, and 2nd the Viper is what made the modern muscle car era happen.

You still have a long, long way to before you become credible. This “pretending to know what your talking about thing” does not work for you sorry. Your not even in the ball park. Try again

*SRT/PVO adds 165 available horsepower to its vehicle in 2 consecutive weeks. (Not many seem to care) Chevy Corvette however takes 4 years to catch up to the same car that was made in 2002, everyone thinks that’s a big deal? Cookies for you easily impressed car fans!!

Wait, your right,
The Viper is not good enough because a Vett will exist that will be faster?... (sigh)
Viper = #1 for 11/12 years, thats no big deal. Vett catches up and now the Viper is a piece of ****?

Must suck to hate things your scared of.
so then, since the Mustang came first, and lead the way for the pony car market, and dodge took a while to get into the pony car scene, the dodge pony cars werent as good, right? in the same way that the vette some how isnt as good as the viper because it has taken it years to catch up? GM is credited by those who know with creating the muscle car with the early GTO...then dodge improved upon the idea...does that make the chargers and cudas lesser cars compared to the GTOs, because the GTOs came first? no...the hemi cars would crush any of the GTOs stock for stock.

pillbox, i suggest that you learn how to talk to people here without calling names, as this is your final warning. One more complaint of your name calling when you are trying desperately to make a point will guarantee your removal from this site. many of us are adults, so you need to learn how to discuss things with adults; youre not on the playground. like i said, im one of the only people in this thread who actually knows what "mopar performance" is by means of first hand experiences, and your having been a car salesman makes your point less valid, if anything. So stand down, or see yourself out.

No ones talking about pony cares but you, I don’t even really care for pony cares, I epically don’t care for old fords or chevys that is for sure. So what exactly does that have to do with anything here? Oh and by the way the 61 Chrysler 300F 413 max wedge dual quad 380+ horse power was the First muscle car. But only more in-depth enthusiasts would understand that. If car histories were actually fair with Chrysler instead of trying to discredit them, the first official muscle car would be the 1956 300C oh and it had a Hemi Thanks. And if you want to discredit that car in order to make GM look better than the 64 Belvedere was the first muscle car. There would be no racing, no muscle, and no race cars in America as early as it happened without Chrysler.

So what was GM doing at this time? I guess what they do best, (playing catch up). Thanks for bringing all that up though.

I dont try to make any points really, I speak of facts down and people get upset because they are wrong. Sorry. And I guess thats why no one can tell me how Im wrong about anything in that previous post.

Thanks Again.

SRT/PVO adds 165 available horsepower to its vehicle in 2 consecutive weeks. (Not many seem to care) Chevy Corvette however takes 4 years to catch up to the same car that was made in 2002, everyone thinks that’s a big deal? Cookies for you easily impressed car fans!

Old 01-10-2007, 11:20 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: MG42pillbox
No ones talking about pony cares but you, I don’t even really care for pony cares, I epically don’t care for old fords or chevys that is for sure. So what exactly does that have to do with anything here? Oh and by the way the 61 Chrysler 300F 413 max wedge dual quad 380+ horse power was the First muscle car. But only more in-depth enthusiasts would understand that. If car histories were actually fair with Chrysler instead of trying to discredit them, the first official muscle car would be the 1956 300C oh and it had a Hemi Thanks. And if you want to discredit that car in order to make GM look better than the 64 Belvedere was the first muscle car. There would be no racing, no muscle, and no race cars in America as early as it happened without Chrysler.

So what was GM doing at this time? I guess what they do best, (playing catch up). Thanks for bringing all that up though.
The 300C was first built in 57, not 56....and it was considered a luxury car/sedan, not a performance model. Same with the Chrysler 300F, only it was a 1960's model, not a 61. The '60 300F had an optional 400hp motor, but I believe it was only offered in like a dozen models...By Chrysler's OWN definition, those cars were never "muscle" cars..

The Corvette had almost 300hp as early as 1957-58.....and the '61 Impala SShad a motor option for 425hp.

The AMC Rebel is one of the very earliest muscle cars, if not the first. Debuted in '57 with around 250hp, but it was the first hardtop sedan to be designated a "muscle" or "performance" car. This company would eventually become a part of what is now Chrysler.

Quick Reply: HAHAHAHAHAHA Corvette SS WHAT?????