Caliber SRT-4 This compact crossover combines high performance with the interior room of a small SUV.

Brakes and rotors at 50K miles?

Old 11-02-2011, 04:36 PM
jemerypec
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Brakes and rotors at 50K miles?

I am being told that I need both brakes and rotors for my 08 Caliber SRT-4 at 49800 miles. I can see the brakes, because I drive a lot. But rotors already? It sounds like it is way too soon. Anyone else having or had this issue? This is $799 I just don't have at the moment.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:52 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It is very possible, depending on your enviromental condition. The Rotor is a chunk of Steel exposed to all elements of nature, afterall. If you live in a Salt Belt state, rotors are pretty much disposal after every brake pad.

If you want to save some money, go with cheaper Aftermarket Rotors. But please use OEM or Premium brake pads, expecially on SRT-4.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:40 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to do my brakes/rotors on my SXT at 29k miles. I feel that if I can get 25k miles out of brakes down here in South Florida, then I'm good.

On a side note, I do my own brakes. So what cost most a several hundred dollars, I pick and choose and able to get decent brakes/rotors for less than $200.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:24 PM
jemerypec
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes and Rotors

Thanks much for the input folks. Having a few places (that are NOT dealerships) take a look and give me a quote. I'm in Washington state, so not a lot of salt, but certainly a lot of moisture.
Now if I can only get the "check engine" light off for good! been in 4 times and each time the "fix" lasts about a week. I don't think they have any idea what is causing it.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:29 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Can you post the actual code here? We can help.

Also, I believe that the SRT4 has more aggressive pads that stop better, but also wear away at the rotors faster. It's a tradeoff for the better stopping power.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:07 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah, definitely give us some history on your CEL repair, as well as the code and symptom. we could probably help.
If you are looking into saving money on Parts yet not suffer reduced performance, Check Online stores like Autoanything.com, rockauto.com or even Tirerack.com for brakes. etc...
just make sure you order the right one for SRT-4 model.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brakes and rotors at 50K miles?