Charger, Roadrunner & Superbee Talk Charger (pre-1975). Coronet, Roadrunner and Superbee (& other 'B' bodies) specific topics within.

fuel problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 05:32 PM
Signal 70
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel problem

Anyone know why my fuel drains back to the tank when it sits for awhile?I'm tired of all that cranking to get him started again...1970 se 500

Old 08-07-2006, 01:33 AM
fc7gtx
Professional
Default RE: fuel problem

Many people have expressed there distaste for having to crank on the engine after sitting awhile. Mine did that all the time. The fix: Install an electric fuel pump and prime the carbs before you crank it over. Everytime I primed my carbs I could hear the fuel bowls fill with fuel so the fuel had evaporated out of them.

Old 08-12-2006, 01:10 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That will always happen if the car sits for a few weeks or so, but it shouldn't be an issue on a day to day basis unless the fuel pump is weak or the carburator isn't completely tuned or working right. Hit the gas pedal a couple times before starting then make sure that the butterfly is closed almost completely after is has set long enough for the engine to be cold. If the butterfly isn't closed after pushing down on the gas pedal a couple times then that is most likely your problem. It would actually be easier to operate the throttle by hand on the carburator with the breather off to see if the butterfly closes as it should, it won't close or shouldn't close if the engine is warm. If the car sits for very long periods between use and the carburator is operating as it should then the electric fuel pump will help as well.

Old 08-18-2006, 12:21 AM
BIGSEXY
Professional

definately the fuel pump.

Old 08-19-2006, 02:13 AM
Signal 70

I replaced the fuel pump,I thought that too.I have also had the carb rebuilt.....that didn't seem to help me either.......I'm at a loss

Old 08-20-2006, 03:06 AM
bdering
Rookie

Hi,

I saw one guy at the Chrysler Nationals in Carlisle this year who resolved this issue in a very unconventional way. He had a trunk mounted fuel cell and a tall fuel line with a loop in the top in the trunk. I asked him why he had his fuel line set up this way (as I had never seen it before), and he told me that the loop in the line was above the carb in the front and it kept the fuel from draining back into the tank. I guess he really did not want to run an electric pump and this kept the fuel in the lines from draining back into the tank.

I installed a Holley blue pump with a regulator on mine. It resolved the issue with the drain back, but it is noisy and the pump "in" and "out" MUST be mounted below the bottom of the tank. This can severly limit your options for placement.

Hope that helps...

Quick Reply: fuel problem