Charger, Roadrunner & Superbee Talk Charger (pre-1975). Coronet, Roadrunner and Superbee (& other 'B' bodies) specific topics within.

electrical problem

Old 08-27-2006, 03:14 PM
rebel4life
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical problem

In my 1973 Charger with a 6.6 400BB w/4bbl carb and Ralleye gauges, you put the key in the ign. and nothing happens, no lights, engine dosent crank, nothing.... If you run juice to the coil and put some juice to the starter solenoid it starts, runs, and all the lights and acc. work. I've replaced the battery cables, starter solenoid, resistor, starter switch, and lock cyclinder. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 08-27-2006, 03:41 PM
bdering
Rookie
Default RE: electrical problem

Hi,

You said that you replaced the resistor...I assume you are referring to the Ballast Resistor (External Coil Resistor)... Have you checked the Neutral Safety Switch? It is attached to the transmission and there should be a wire running from it to the wiring harness. Have you tried starting the car in Neutral instead of Park (assuming that you have an automatic - 727)? If the wire is broken or burned through (hit the exhaust)?

Hope that helps.

Old 08-27-2006, 04:01 PM
rebel4life

i was thinking about the neutral safety switch but that would just cause the car not to start the interior lights and other acc. would still work but nothing comes on

Old 08-27-2006, 08:50 PM
bdering
Rookie

Hi,

You said that you replaced the starter solenoid, are you sure the part is good? Same for the ignition switch. I have gotten bad parts before that did not work straight out of the box. I would check the connections to the starter solenoid again. Also the harness from the starter switch along with the switch itself. You traced the ignition wire to make sure that it was not cut under the dash or in the steering column? Still sounds like you are not triggering the starter solenoid. Also perhaps there is corrosion on the fuse block...

Did someone put a battery switch in this car? If there was a switch installed somewhere that turned off the power, perhaps for long periods of storage or as a theft deterant device, there could be a bad connection. Just another thought...

I am sure you checked the ground wire from the battery and have an engine ground from the engine to the firewall...right?

Just trying to throw out some ideas. I hope one of them helps...

Old 08-28-2006, 12:23 AM
BIGSEXY
Professional

check the fusable link that runs from the battery to th solinoid on the firewall.

Old 08-28-2006, 04:17 PM
rebel4life

I have not traced the hot wire all the way to the ignition switch but I believe it is comming from the fusebox, thinking about a new wiring harness but they're 750.00 so i think i'll spend a hundred at work at make my own

Old 04-13-2007, 08:44 PM
fuktifino

I have the same problem with my 1970 road runner. The car was running fine. Then I shut the engine off and got ziltch. The battery is good. The starter relay is new and functional. All of the accessory devices work fine. I just don't get any power to the fuse box to run anything. The fusible link from the starter relay is good. There is not a ground issue on this car. I grounded the living daylights out of everything on it. Some background info: 1970 road runner, low deck stroker engine, battery relocated to the trunk, Demon 850 VE carb, Accel 300+ignition, Holley blue electric fuel pump, Meizere electric water pump, Spal electric fans, Afco aluminum radiator, New engine wiring harness from Year One. This car is a work in progress. It seems everytime I get one issue resolved, another pops up. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Old 04-15-2007, 03:35 AM
gtxpooch
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull the neutral start switch wiring off the trans and see if there's oil in the connections, I've had that problem before.

Old 04-19-2007, 04:42 PM
fuktifino

The neutral safety switch is disconnected, and has been since I got the car. I changed the starter switch to no avail. Some probing under the dash showed no voltage getting to the starter switch. I have power at the fusible link on the starter relay on the firewall, but I can't locate any power inside the car. The underhood wiring harness and fusible link are new and working fine. The wirng behind the instrument panel looks like a rat's nest of butchery. I haven't got the funds to replace that harness right now. I'm just looking for a quick fix to get me by until I can replace all of the rest of the wiring in the car.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:10 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My RR also is without the harness for the back up lights and neutral safety switch, I can start mine in gear if I want.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: electrical problem