Charger SRT-8 That thing got a Hemi? Indeed, a 6.1L Hemi that is. The Dodge Charger SRT-8 pounds the pavement with severe power.

Singing Belts

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 09:46 PM
Dartman69
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Singing Belts

Does anyone else have a problem with an annoying belt whine?

I've had my Charger SRT-8 since the beginning of January, and it has had this problem from the very beginning. I had the car in recently to get the transmission computer flashed with the updated software (to fix the 1-2nd upshift problem at WOT), and I asked the service tech to listen for the belt whine while he was out test driving it. Naturally, when he returned, he gave me the typical answer of "I never heard any noise". I found this strange, as I noticed the car was making the noise as he pulled into the shop!

Already late for work, I had no time to stop and argue. I hopped back in my car and discovered that my music was blaring and that I was missing half of a tank of gas! Oh yes, I forgot to mention that one of the spunky young salesmen (who was dressed like a Columbian drug lord) accompanied the tech on his half hour test drive. This salesman was a real smart ***: when he got out of my car, he slapped me on the back like I was his old bowling partner, then said "she sure shifts great now!". Later that night, I took the car for a test drive and discovered that the 1-2nd shift problem still persisted. Somehow, I doubt the tech even reflashed the TCM.

Needless to say, I was not very impressed with my visit to the delearship that day. Someone please tell me that they've had the belt whine happen to them and that they know how to fix it. lol

Old 02-03-2006, 06:49 PM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member
Default RE: Singing Belts

go to a different dealer for the PCM upgrade. even if its done they have to take it in. isn't that a warranty or TSB thing. then have them listen for the belts. Ive found some dealers really suck compared to others. lucky i found one that is consistently good to me.

Old 02-09-2006, 05:30 PM
Dartman69
Veteran

Apparentally the whining noise wasn't the belts at all- it was my transmission! The car is going in next Tuesday to have the transmission opened up and investigated. I read in a few earlier posts that several others had this similar problem. Did anyone find a resolution?

This information would be good to know so that I could lessen the wait time in getting my car back.

Old 02-10-2006, 09:42 PM
srtommy
Veteran

I think you are going to constantly have some kind of noise, problem or defect with your SRT8. Call it a hunch.

Old 02-10-2006, 11:59 PM
Dartman69
Veteran

haha Srtommy, I sincerely hope you're wrong, but I am curious as to why you would think this- do I seem like a hypochondriac?

I only once had a problem with my SRT-4 (the broken TPS wire), but it seems as though the SRT-8s are laden with irritating little problems. If you take a look at the list of TSBs for the LX cars, it is literally as long as one's arm!

Old 04-08-2006, 06:32 PM
otimmayo

i hear the whisle usually in the morning for some reason. its garaged kept obviously but why is this.... I also notice when i randomly punch it the shifting acts up on me but sometimes it doesnt. wtf??

Quick Reply: Singing Belts