Charger SRT-8 That thing got a Hemi? Indeed, a 6.1L Hemi that is. The Dodge Charger SRT-8 pounds the pavement with severe power.

SRT Experience

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 04:38 AM
PlatinumRoad
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRT Experience

I recently bought a SRT10 Ram and was just curious if anyone has been to the SRT Experience that Dodge and Skip Barber put on. There's one out at MIS in Brooklyn, MI in October that i was gona sign up for and bring a friend, but i was just curious to see how it is. It was included in the cost of my truck, i'm just wondering if its worth a 2 hour drive.
Thanks for the imput!

~chris

Old 09-14-2006, 10:26 AM
moparman04
Captain
Default RE: SRT Experience

havent seen it in person but i was watchin some stuff about it on speed vision.. it looks pretty sweet to me, they had a mini drag stip with an srt-8 doin lil 0-60's and people were actulyy in the cars

Old 09-15-2006, 07:56 PM
nanamary

we went to gateway race track the middle of june. it is an awesome experience. you get to drive all the srt vechicles on a drag strip & around the race track. they have a track set up with cones where you and an instructor get to drive the viper and the crossfire.they let you drive all the srt vechicles on the racetrack.they give you a goody bag with key ring, stickers and a certificate

Old 09-16-2006, 12:30 PM
cjwr
Professional

so they let you drive their cars? you don't drive yours?

Old 10-03-2006, 03:49 PM
khendric

The SRT exp. is worth every second. You get to drive their cars like you would never treat your own.

Old 10-15-2006, 04:06 PM
hunt

I just got back from my srt track experience in Virginia and it was worth the 3 hour drive. The guys that work with you from Skip Baber driving school are great people. You get to drive the crap out of all the cars they bring, and belive me they have alot of cars and trucks, so make the trip it is worth it.

Huntster

Old 11-21-2006, 05:09 AM
LandLawMan

I'm STILL experiencing my SRT Track Experience: I dream about it when I sleep, and I think about it when I'm behind the wheel.

Even if you don't own an SRT (or if you purchased an SRT prior to a certain date and thus, Dodge won't pay your tuition), it's worth the $500 to attend. When I hit around 135 mph and then NAILED the binders to handle the next turn, I learned what these amazing SRT's can really do. Forcing my own vehicle through such punishment would be out of the question. But now I really know what she'll do if I were in an emergency situation. And that's the genesis of the experience: Knowing what your baby COULD do if you really really needed her to.

You are not allowed to run your own car; they have more than enough cars for all. The crew chief told me that a fresh set of rubber lasts between 90 and 125 miles. Yes, you read that correctly. A hundred miles and it's time for four new tires. That's just one of MANY reasons why you would not want to run your personal vehicle hard enough to keep up with the instructors.

And speaking of instructors: They let you ride with them in the "pace car" as they lead the pack around the track. Now, at first blush, one would think that being religated to the status of a mere passenger when afforded the opportunity to actually pilot these astonishing sleds, would be antithetical and anticlimatic (if not blasphemous). But I have to admit that riding with them FIRST -- BEFORE taking a turn behind the wheel -- proved absolutely invaluable. I learned breaking technique from a certified master, power-sliding from a wizard, and above all else, STRATEGY from all the instructors with whom I rode. That strategic mindset -- learing the importance of, and ability to, look beyond the next turn BEFORE you even TAKE the next turn -- has already helped me become a more safe, responsible, and capable driver.

In short, GO! They feed you, teach you, thrill you, and even make themselves available after the event if you need to talk with them.

Another reason to go: I seriously can't imagine that this event will continue. Dodge must be loosing a CRAP LOAD of money on it.

The final lesson I'll pass along is this: Don't EVER buy a Viper at auction!!!! (One driver told me that they put around 3,000 miles on them, and then send them off to the auction. I can't believe that the Vipers we drove would last for 3,000 miles -- we (and the instructors) beat the livin' &^@%$ out of them!!!).

The LandLawMan

LandLawMan@Yahoo.com

Old 11-23-2006, 10:15 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Good info to know.........

Dusty

Old 02-14-2007, 10:07 PM
mr.srt

anyone want to give up the track time[sm=gears.gif]

Old 07-23-2007, 05:25 PM
GaryJSD

I did the SRT Experience at the California Speedway in Fontana (outside of LA) on the 22nd and it was well worth a 2 hour drive. It was well organized and fun. I was surprised how much freedom we had on the performance driving module. Its a great learning experience and if you get it with the price of your car, well it would be a shame to miss it.

The one thing I didnt like about it was the way the drag races were determined. They gave response time as much weight as elapsed time. This meant that if you werent as fast off the line and you still won the drag you lost. I lost 5 races even though I beat the other guy with elapsed time. I'm not sure why they did it that way but it cost me 5 races.

One note, if you go, be prepared to compete. Its a very competitive event.

Quick Reply: SRT Experience