Charger SRT-8 That thing got a Hemi? Indeed, a 6.1L Hemi that is. The Dodge Charger SRT-8 pounds the pavement with severe power.

Watch Out For That On-Board Tire Inflator!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 12:14 AM
MagnumSRT8
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Watch Out For That On-Board Tire Inflator!

All you SRT-8 drivers have a potentially embarrassing & expensive gotcha in the boot of your car!

The gotcha involves the factory inflation pump that came with your vehicle. All of the Magnum, Charger, & 300 SRT-8 Factory Tires are run-flats. Cautions appear in your owners manual & elsewhere that using any kind of tire sealant will ruin your tire pressure sensor. So.....you would assume that your car would not come with any flat sealant from the factory.....& you would be wrong!

The factory supplied inflation pump not only INCLUDES flat sealant, it is set up so that if you activate the pump, you are going to GET sealant!....a LOT!...& it will keep coming even after you shut off the pump power! If you are quick & have a hose handy, you can wash away any sealant you got on your car, your driveway, youself, kids, dogs, etc. as long as you do it BEFORE the sealant sets up.

The fix is simple after you are aware of the gotcha. Simply take the pump out of the car, flip it over, disconnect the inflation valve from the bottom of the sealant container. Having done that, you can now use the pump to put air in your tires, inflate beach *****, etc.

If you HAPPEN to power up the pump without "disarming" the sealant, & you WANT to replace the sealant cannister, Dodge will be glad to do so for just $65 plus tax.

I won't go into the details of how I know all this.

Old 10-15-2006, 04:16 AM
Dartman69
Veteran
Default RE: Watch Out For That On-Board Tire Inflator!

LoL Thanks for the heads-up! Sounds like you could've saved alot of us from one helluva mess!

Old 10-15-2006, 05:02 PM
okcsrt8

Ah man, I thought I was the only one too. I plugged in the unit while sitting in the driver's seat and sealant started spewing everywhere. Luckily I did a quick combat roll out of the seat while holding the canister as if it were a live grenade. Lucky for me I quickly wiped up the overspray on parts of the interior but the clothes were ruined. I'll have to talk to dodge about the canister issue. I must have shifted the thing on accident and it dislodged itself from the position on the air compressor. Lesson learned and thanks for the tip on disengaging the unit. Ever since that happened, I won't come near the air compressor.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:56 PM
Buckola

Gee...I think mine had pretty clear instructions on how to avoid this

Quick Reply: Watch Out For That On-Board Tire Inflator!