Notices
Detailing Discuss detailing your ride inside and out here.

detailing kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 01:34 AM
Andpto
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default detailing kit

I want to get a good wash everytime i wash my car. Whats a good detailing kit? Or can you guys tell whats the best products for each thing. Like which wax, soap, towels, clay bar, wheel cleaner.... etc....

Old 05-04-2007, 08:10 PM
Nappers
Professional
Default RE: detailing kit

First off, I am fond of the Meguiars products. Although others are good, I frequent the Meguiars Online Forum and found it helpful.

First, get two buckets for washing, 1 for soap and a rinse bucket to get the dirt off of your wash mitt, ADS has grit guards and you would not believe what can come off of your wash mitts when you rinse them.

Next, get a clay bar, claying the car removes surface contaminants (not paint) from the paint. My brand new Neon had horrible overspray and when I was done, I had paint smooth as glass. Also, I read on this forum I think that Dodge rails their cars to other cities and the metal particles from using the rail get on your paint. Embedded metal shavings although very small can stick in paint and rust and show up on your car, especially white paint.

I use a cleaner wax from Meguiars

I then use a polish from Meguiars of course

I then wax (2 coats) with either NXT liquid (paste is fine) or Gold Class liquid (or paste)

For towels, use a quality Micro Fiber towel (I of course use Meguiars) I found that the yellow Costco towels can cause some swirling issues as well as the blue Walmart micro fiber towels that they sell, the Meguiars are softer to the touch and I did not have problems using those. Meguiars also sells a micro fiber water magnet for drying your car.

All of my wheels are machine clear coated or painted with a machine clear coated lip. I use Meg's all wheel cleaner, clay, then wax as clear coat ispaint like on your car.

I forgot to mention to use a good quality wash mitt, not an old wash rag and do not use dish soap. Use a good quality soap (I of course use Gold Class soap or NXT soap) I use 4oz to 4 gallons of water in one bucket and plain water in the other.

For the tires, I use Meg's Hot Shine, spray and walk away, try not to get it on the wheels or you have to clean it up later. I use a foam type of applicator.

For the wax application, if your doing it by hand, I use the Meg's foam applicators (little round yellow ones).

I use ScratchX from Meg's for scratches and do the steps above to keep your car swirl free.

Using a buffer or Porter Cable polisher or other machine, I would visit the Meg's online forum and see how others do it. Those little waxers that can be purchased at most bigger stores only have enough power to put on wax and remove it and the wrong pads can swirl your paint or make it worse. I had one and don't use it.

I hope I don't violate rules pushing for a product but I found that Megs is inexpensive to purchase and easy to use. I'm not saying that others are less superior, I just like them and have not used others and cannot comment on them. Others may chime in and say that others are better and I support them. Zaino wax is a great wax as I have read on Meg's online as well as other products from Mothers. So....I'm just saying what I use.

For the interior, I use Meg's carpet interior cleaner and top off with either Meg's #40 (vinyl rubber conditioner) or Meg's natural shine if you don't want that super shiny dash. The carpet cleaner works awesome.

I wish I could show you how my car turned out but Meg's online just switched to a different forum and my pix don't show up on the archive forum of my "detail by hand" entry on the "Show Off" on the Meg's online.

Anyways,

Good luck keeping her clean and I hope others chime in on their experiences, we are here after all to offer our advise, tips, expertise to make our cars here on the Dodge Forum look, run, upgrade and just awesome.

Aaron

Old 05-07-2007, 12:25 AM
Andpto
All Star

Thanks alot great write-up. Im going to start buying all my stuff when i get my check

Old 05-07-2007, 08:20 PM
Nappers
Professional

Have fun, Meguiars online is a great site and if you sign up, tell them Nappers sent ya

They have great advise on how to clean your whole car.

Aaron

Quick Reply: detailing kit