Notices
Detailing Discuss detailing your ride inside and out here.

Help paint irregularities

Old 05-25-2007, 06:40 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Help paint irregularities

I'm telling you it's bad clearcoat ... many dodge vehicles had a tsb/recall on it ... I've seen it on tons of vehicles
they offered me $500 on a $3500 repaint ...

Old 05-26-2007, 12:18 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

ok well thanks for the info, but i dont think mine is under the recall, and even if it is unless they payed for the entire repaint i would not be able to afford it as i cannot afford to put out 3000$ for a repaint so i guess ill just live with it thanks

Old 05-26-2007, 05:38 PM
Nappers
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: shrpshtr325

ok well thanks for the info, but i dont think mine is under the recall, and even if it is unless they payed for the entire repaint i would not be able to afford it as i cannot afford to put out 3000$ for a repaint so i guess ill just live with it thanks
Don't give up hope, I bought a clay kit for less than 20 bucks, ScratchX is around 8 bucks, Meg's Deep Crystal #2 is about 8 bucks, Meg's Cleaner wax is about 6-8 bucks, NXT is about 15 bucks. 60 bucks total give or take.

[ul][*]Wash your truck using a two bucket method, one with soap, one with rinse water. Use a good wash mitt, Meg's has a nice cheap wash mitt for about 6 bucks.[*]Wash car using two bucket method, wash an area like a door or 1/2 rinse mitt, resoap and do car in small areas, the reason for this is you don't want dirt embedded on the mitt to get on your paint and get swirled around.[*]dry car using a clear coat safe Micro Fiber towel, such as Meg's water magnet.[*]when dry, clay your car using the kit, there is all you need in the kit to do it and it's pretty idiot proof.[*]use scratchX on the paint, work only about a square foot at a time, believe me patience is the key, the scratchX does NOT need to be dry to wipe off. the only Meg's product that drys is their waxes. Meg's recommends doing the scratchX 3 times (yes a lot of work by hand)[*]Use Meg's cleaner wax, same thing.[*]Use Meg's Deep Crystal #2 (they have a 3 step which is awesome too)[*]Put a coat of NXT let it dry and put another coat on. Wait at least an hour.[/ul]
Cost 60$ if you don't have any of it.

I like Meguiars, they are inexpensive, go a long ways and really keep the car looking nice. i had rough paint and bad swirls in my '05 Dodge Neon, now it looks awesome with 80% swirls gone (if you have a PC, then other steps can be done with better results).

Try that, Don't give up.

Aaron

Old 05-29-2007, 05:46 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

ok well b4 i got a chance to pick up a clay bar, my dad suggested trying gasoline on it, and it took the roughness out of the finish and helped the problem on the hood a little bit, not perfect, but the hood is better now, any idea why the gas helped some??? i washed w/ 2 bucket method, wiped down w/ rag w/ gas on it, and then waxed, why did this take care of the rough finish and make the hood irregularities less noticeable?????

Old 05-29-2007, 07:12 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gas is a pretty strong solvent and not recomended to be used this way ... likely it removed some impedded dirt (the roughness)but with small holes in the clear it might leach under the clear and lift/damage the paint more .....

Old 05-29-2007, 08:00 PM
Nappers
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: shrpshtr325

ok well b4 i got a chance to pick up a clay bar, my dad suggested trying gasoline on it, and it took the roughness out of the finish and helped the problem on the hood a little bit, not perfect, but the hood is better now, any idea why the gas helped some??? i washed w/ 2 bucket method, wiped down w/ rag w/ gas on it, and then waxed, why did this take care of the rough finish and make the hood irregularities less noticeable?????
Gas is not the recommended way to repair paint defects. I would try the clay bar approach, then try Meg's ScratchX, then Meg's Cleaner Wax (Deep Crystal step #1), then Meg's Deep Crystal polish (step 2), then a coat of wax of your choice, I would try NXT or Gold Class wax.

The gas may have dulled your paint, it may have helped dissolve some of the embedded stuff but it's not good for your paint.

Visit Meguiars online and take some more pictures as clear as you can and post (become a member) there are tons of folks who can help you.

Aaron

Old 05-30-2007, 07:04 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

thanks for the info on meguirs, and the paint is not dulled, it is actually got more of a shine to it now than it did before, and i had the same reaction when my dad told me use gas on the truck, but he explained to me that if it is only done once i will not affect the paint, that it would only be bad for the paint if i used it every time i washed or waxed it, and i think i will try the meguiars forum and see if anything besides bad clearcoat comes up thanks again

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help paint irregularities