Notices
Detailing Discuss detailing your ride inside and out here.

Waxing chrome wheels...

Old 06-03-2007, 05:29 AM
07Ramjam
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waxing chrome wheels...

I just bought some new 20" chromes for my Ram.I was wondering if it was ok to use regular car wax on them for some added protection or should I buy some actual wheels wax??

Old 06-03-2007, 12:20 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Waxing chrome wheels...

Clean them well first , remove brake dust (I use window cleaner for final cleaning) any scratches can be polished out might I suggest getting a powerball(used on a drill), follow that up with A good coat of wax ...

Old 06-03-2007, 12:33 PM
djr04
All Star

I've used regular wax on lots of wheels with no problems yet. Wheel wax is most likely a little tougher, since the wheels see a lot more junk than most of the paint. As bad venge said, clean them really good first or you'll be sealing in that left over residue with the wax.

Old 06-03-2007, 03:56 PM
07Ramjam
Rookie

Thanks for the help guys.The wheels are brand new and are super clean so now I just want to put some protection on them.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:57 PM
Nappers
Professional

Treat them like the paint on your truck.

Clay the wheels to remove the grime(like on your paint which would be worse on your wheels)
Cleaner wax (like Meg's Cleaner Wax)
Meg's Deep Crystal polish #2
Wax with your wax (I use Gold Class or NXT waxes)

I use ScratchX as well for my wheels which are machined clear coated to remove imperfections or scratches.

This process works great on chrome or machined clear coated. Not familiar with uncoated or polished wheels so cannot comment.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:09 AM
MoparMJM
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Nappers

Clay the wheels to remove the grime(like on your paint which would be worse on your wheels)

I use ScratchX as well for my wheels which are machined clear coated to remove imperfections or scratches.

This process works great on chrome or machined clear coated. Not familiar with uncoated or polished wheels so cannot comment.
WTF?!?! I don't know whether to laugh or cry at what you posted.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:10 AM
MoparMJM
Record Breaker

Just curious, which 20's are they? Are they the stock ones on the '06+ trucks?

Old 06-06-2007, 07:35 PM
Nappers
Professional

ORIGINAL: MoparMJM

ORIGINAL: Nappers

WTF?!?! I don't know whether to laugh or cry at what you posted.
Just giving my $.02, been doing that to my chrome and clear coated/painted wheels a long time and they look as good as the day I bought them on my cars.

The claying works on painted/clear coated wheels. I have waxed my chrome wheels in the past and they too looked as good as the day I bought them on a car I no longer own. NXT metal polish works great on chrome wheels too.

When I learned about the process, my reaction was same to yours. Until I tried it....I also run Dawn dish soap in my cooling system (make sure you get it all out) and it gets the grime out. Hard to believe???? yes, and I laughed hard until an old mechanic showed me and you would not believe the crap that came out. So, I do it to all my vehicles when changing the antifreeze and have not had any troubles OR replaced a water pump (he said the Dawn lubes the water pump???).

To each his own.

L8R

Aaron

Old 06-06-2007, 10:54 PM
MoparMJM
Record Breaker

Wax on wheels is fine... I would recommend wheel wax.

Also, painted wheels can be treated like paint on a car, because that is what it is. But chrome is not like paint. The big thing that caught me off gaurd in your post is the clay barring. On Chrome?!?! Plus, the newer stock chrome wheels on Chrysler products are really chrome "clad" which means it is a plastic cover. I have not tried to clay chrome wheels, let alone the new plastic covers that are out, but I could see it ending very bad.

There are specific products made for specific jobs. I recommend Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant for waxing wheels. Sure car wax can be used, but won't produce the same results.

Don't use a paint polish for chrome wheels, use a chrome polish.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:43 PM
Nappers
Professional

I actually spoke before thinking.....

Painted/clear coated wheels, treat as the paint on cars....In my experience

Chrome, I've waxed and excuse me, not clayed, you can use a wheel metal polish such as NXT metal polish or the Mirror Glaze brand (I think).

I never had "chrome" plastic wheels/covers. Just the cheap plastic painted ones on my Kia which the ex ripped off via curb =)

Didn't mean to throw you off.

I have never used "wheel" wax but use NXT wax X2 coats and it works fine in MY experience even on my stock Neon clear coated wheels (have painted/clear coated lipnow.

Aaron

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Waxing chrome wheels...