Diesel General Discussion This section is for general discussions about your Deisel RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

2008 RAM 2500 5.9 cummins NEED ADVICE!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 12:36 AM
marbeck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 RAM 2500 5.9 cummins NEED ADVICE!!!!

Hy guys, I´m about to buy a beautifull almost new 2008 RAM with a powerfull 5.9 cummins, but I´m quite confused, I´ve been doing a little research about the milage that I will get from this beauty, but as I change sites, the numbers also keep changing, I will be very thankfully if you guys would give me the right numbers and any advice about this truck.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:26 AM
ZmanTRX4
Professional

If it's a 2008, it has the 6.7 liter cummins diesel. The 5.9 stopped in 2007.5. The 5.9 is very much desired, i've ownded serveral and they have been great. The new 6.7 is starting to prove to be a pretty good motor too as long as it's not a late 2007. The 2008 should be just fine. The only difference is the 6.7 diesels have all the emission crap on them including a DPF (diesel particulate filter). The lowers fuel milage a bunch. You'll get 15 mpg and the 5.9's get closer to 20 mpg's. The DPF is illegal to remove in the states, but if you were to remove it your fuel milage and power will go up. Also you shouldn't put a chip or programmer on it with the DPF installed because it will clogg very quickly due to the excess fuel. As far as milage out of the truck they should do 300,000 miles plus as long as it it taken care of and problems are detected early. The dpf systems were only designed to last 150,000 miles so be prepared to replace at 1000 bucks plus. All in all a very good truck and if you tow a lot a great decision. The 6.7's are not good daily town drivers. The DPF will fill with soot quickly and you need longer highway runs to burn them clean. Fuel milage will be terrible around town.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:53 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Agreed, the 5.9 was not available in a 2008 model. MPGs are better with the 5.9 (smaller engine, way less emissions crap). If I was looking used, I'd try to find a cherry 5.9 but they are getting tougher and tougher to find in really nice shape...

Old 10-24-2010, 11:10 AM
marbeck

Thanks a lot for the replys, you´re completelly right, it turns that the truck was fabricated on 2007 and sold 2008...., thats because it has the 5.9. ZmanTRX4 the numbers posted are for combined, highway or city???, I´m very concerned cause I will use it as daily driver.....that is why I like to know where I will be with this babe......, any known issues with this model?
cheers.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:32 AM
bigdaddyII
Captain

Originally Posted by ZmanTRX4
If it's a 2008, it has the 6.7 liter cummins diesel. The 5.9 stopped in 2007.5. The 5.9 is very much desired, i've ownded serveral and they have been great. The new 6.7 is starting to prove to be a pretty good motor too as long as it's not a late 2007. The 2008 should be just fine. The only difference is the 6.7 diesels have all the emission crap on them including a DPF (diesel particulate filter). The lowers fuel milage a bunch. You'll get 15 mpg and the 5.9's get closer to 20 mpg's. The DPF is illegal to remove in the states, but if you were to remove it your fuel milage and power will go up. Also you shouldn't put a chip or programmer on it with the DPF installed because it will clogg very quickly due to the excess fuel. As far as milage out of the truck they should do 300,000 miles plus as long as it it taken care of and problems are detected early. The dpf systems were only designed to last 150,000 miles so be prepared to replace at 1000 bucks plus. All in all a very good truck and if you tow a lot a great decision. The 6.7's are not good daily town drivers. The DPF will fill with soot quickly and you need longer highway runs to burn them clean. Fuel milage will be terrible around town.

We have a 6.4 liter in an 08 F-350 at work. Truck sees a lot of idle time and short runs, and the last month or so the "drive to clean exhaust filter" message was on constant, I drove it 60 miles roundtrip and that did nothing to clean the damn DPF. Truck is in the shop now having all that replaced after it popped a check engine light and went into limp mode. All this tree hugging is for the birds. The 6.0s we have can idle for days with no problems.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:40 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah, the city where I used to be a tech consultant bought two new '08 6.7s after finding their one '04 5.9 CTD was in operation constantly and their Furds were down quite a bit.
The 6.7s lived for most of their first year and a half with constant CELs (mostly having to do with emissions, but I can remember one being in limp mode a couple times). City policy is NO vehicle is to be used if it's showing a code. The trucks have literally been sitting at the dealership or parked at the city maintenance lot for most of their "lives". I hadn't talked to anyone up there that has anything to do with maintenance for about a year, but last I heard, they were still waiting for yet another PCM flash to be released to resolve the issues.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:07 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO the emissions stuff needs to get yanked off if you want a reliable truck that won't cost you thousands every year or two after the warranty is up on the DPF.

Plus the EGR is pumping carbon and soot back into the cyls, which is NOT good for it.

EPA figures it's better to have slightly better emissions than to crank out vehicles that will only last 150-200k miles while getting 30% lower fuel economy.

Oh, and the 2007 model year was the last to come with the 5.9, anything built after 1/2007 should be a 2007.5 with the updated emissions regulations and the 6.7 engine. All 2008 models (and newer) are the 6.7.

If it has a 5.9, it should have a build date in 2006 for sale as a 2007 at the very latest.

Last edited by horatio102; 10-24-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:40 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Maybe the guys on the CTD side can help some also.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:42 PM
ZmanTRX4
Professional

Originally Posted by bigdaddyII
We have a 6.4 liter in an 08 F-350 at work. Truck sees a lot of idle time and short runs, and the last month or so the "drive to clean exhaust filter" message was on constant, I drove it 60 miles roundtrip and that did nothing to clean the damn DPF. Truck is in the shop now having all that replaced after it popped a check engine light and went into limp mode. All this tree hugging is for the birds. The 6.0s we have can idle for days with no problems.
I hear ya man, 2 years ago I bought an 08 F-250 crew cab lariat powerstroke with the 6.4. This truck was sweet, heated leather, sunroof, automatic butt-wiper but it was the biggest piece of crap I've ever owned. I felt I had joint custody with ford because they got it all week and I got it back every other weekend. It ALWAYS had a check engine light and would go into limp mode. Even when it would get repaired it still sucked. Really broke my heart because It was such a nice truck with the worst diesel motor ever made. I would take 1000 6.0 liters over that 6.4 and that right there is a statement! The dpf on them was terrible. I sold it after only 5,000 miles and bought an 07 5.9 cummins. Best truck ever IMO. Would still have it today if I could justify having a 3/4 ton with my new job but since I don't need it anymore I couldn't justify the payemnt.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:19 AM
toyhaulersdream07

Holding on to my 07 5.9 for every reason stated hear- buy it!!

Quick Reply: 2008 RAM 2500 5.9 cummins NEED ADVICE!!!!