Diesel General Discussion This section is for general discussions about your Deisel RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Should I buy a Cummins?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 12:26 PM
ramtpark
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should I buy a Cummins?

I drove and worked on Cummins diesels for years at the commercial level and am seriously considering the RAM 2500 with Cummins in it to tow my 27' travel trailer and boats. Just wondering what you all think of them in general. The good, the bad, the ugly? Probably can't afford a new one but mid 2000's. We used to say the big truck engines were not ever broken in until 100,000 miles.

Thanks!

Old 12-23-2012, 03:17 PM
DodgeFreq
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i love my common rail and dad loves his 12v just dont stay on this site for tech advice on anything because no one gives advice on anything tech related, all they care about is cosmetic and aftermarket mods. go to cumminsforum for anything you might have a question about

Old 01-07-2013, 03:01 PM
Jigabop
Champion

cummins is a great engine and I say the same thing about the cummins in the dodges...100k is just breaking it in as especially the older 12 and 24v motors (pre-common rail) they are million mile motors.. common rails I'm not convinced they will make it to 1 million miles as if injectors fail it can possibly melt pistons.

I'll take a cummins any day over a duramax or powerstroke though.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:20 PM
horatio102
Champion

There are a few of us here who give technical advice, you just have to wait a little longer here than other places. TDR and Cumminsforum are your best bets for quick replies and good info.

Judging by prices on craigslist and autotrader, it doesn't matter what year, from 03-08 people seem to be asking mid 30k, with super high mile or cosmetic basket cases in the mid 20k range. 2nd gen trucks in great shape and low mile are in the 15-20k range.

I would definitely get one. You just can't beat the power and reliability.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:40 PM
scatpack_69
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

06-07 5.9 would be a great truck.

Asking if you should get a Cummins is like asking if you should breathe

Old 01-10-2013, 02:37 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The better question is why shouldnt you buy a cummins.. Well there isnt any reason. Absolutely awesome motors. I moved up from a 98 dakota with a 318 and the one and only thing I miss about it was the light weight and small truck to get better places off road. I still wouldnt trade my cummins for anything. When buying 98.5-02 24v's there is 3 things you have to watch for low fuel psi(should have at least 14psi at wot,needs aftermarket lift pump to achieve that),bad front steering parts and weak stock auto tranny. If all 3 of those are good then you are set. If you will be towing often you will want a built auto or if going manual you will want it to have a good aftermarket clutch(valair or southbend are good choices) If you have any questions that you need a fast response head over to cumminsforum. Now im not trying to get members to switch(I've been here at df for awhile now and im here everyday) There is a lot more people on cumminsforum that are very knowledgeable.

Quick Reply: Should I buy a Cummins?