Diesel General Discussion This section is for general discussions about your Deisel RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

How To Value Truck with New Engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 05:52 PM
TX1953
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How To Value Truck with New Engine

I'm trying to figure out how to value my 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 (SLT short bed, 4WD, Cummins Turbo diesel). The truck has a new transmission and a new engine/fuel system. It has 289,000 miles on it and the truck is in really good condition. Do I just take the Kelly Blue book value and add the cost of my engine. That would put the value of the truck at $30,000. Does that seem reasonable? I want to sell the truck but want to make sure I am getting the right value on it, for both myself and the buyer. Thanks for any help you can give me!

Old 10-29-2013, 11:50 AM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

while it is good that it has a new engine and trans, the rest of the truck still has 289,000 miles on it... so everything else still has a significant amount of wear and will need replaced soon...

as much as I love my 2000, it is a PITA sometimes because of it's age and 239k miles so I'm always fixing something on it...did the heater core a couple weeks ago, now having to do the hvac actuator motor, and will also need to do the APPS, PS pump and box still need replaced AGAIN... (first time for the pump, but 2nd time for the POS steering box)

even with a high mileage engine I don't really ever have issues with the engine or trans...it's always with everything else on the truck...

so I'm not trying to insult your truck, but a new engine/trans really doesn't add any value to it.

mine has a new trans too cause I broke the old one from too much power on an older trans, but If I ever tried to sell my truck, I would never get out of it what I have into it..I easily have spent more money with mods and repairs than I did buying the truck for 13k 5+ years ago...So if I valued all of the new parts and mods into it it would be worth 30k too right?! wrong.... nobody would buy it for 30k even though it has a brand new hvac system, 4th gen steering, 3rd gen track bar, new trans with coolers, double disc clutch, new hub assemblies, new water pump, new oil cooler, head studs, new head gasket, compound twin turbos, custom injectors, custom pushrods, upgraded valve springs, 5" exhaust, in dash navigation, almost every factory option including heated leather power seats slt sport towing camper special packages, etc...

nobody is going to pay for what you have into it. If you are going to do major fixes and what not do it for yourself, not for resale value...I don't ever plan on selling my truck, so I don't care how much money I have into it as I know full well I will never recover that money unless I put the truck close to stock and sell the mods individually to recover some of the money, but will never come close to getting it all back. it's the nature of the game...

realistically I think new engine and trans does add some value, but probably not near as much as you hope for...

hope the point of my little rant here makes some kinda sense to you good luck with whatever you decide to do with the truck! if you like it, keep it! if not, get the one you do like...

mine is the love of my life lol you'll never see me give it up unless it gets in a very bad wreck...and if that happens and it isn't fixable...the engine is coming out and going in my S10 lol. compound twins and all...

Old 12-02-2013, 10:07 PM
tincan57
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pick one and build it

Great assessment here! I have typical maintenance expense on the engine, bucks for my built tranny. I don't think in terms of selling, or pricing nor upgrading. One buck in the grill and I moved to protect "my daily driver", and hauler with installation of a stout guard.

Last edited by tincan57; 02-03-2014 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Photo before guard/replaced pic/prob. could a been a better pic

Quick Reply: How To Value Truck with New Engine