Diesel General Discussion This section is for general discussions about your Deisel RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Help me build the best 6bt.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 07:20 PM
GUSRENTIT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me build the best 6bt.

Howdy brand new here, hope you guys can help with advice!
I'm looking at getting a Motor Home that runs an 80's 454 with TH400, in a 30', 14K lbs GVWR. I'M NOT LOOKING FOR A HOT ROD! Main is to have MORE HP and TRQ, than I need, and GREAT MPG's! Given that, I would say I want 250+ HP and around 500+ Ft. lbs..
I can do most the work myself, what I need from all of you is, what year/block 5'9 would be best, to get me there. Now, I hear that you could take a 24V head and put it on a 12V block, I also hear that you can run a mechanical pump on them and do away with the CPU. I would avoid any upgrade that would push the engine to the brink of death, I'm looking for reliability and MPG, and pulling power is nice too. If I have to run a manual 5 or 6 speed, that is ok, also would like the 6 speed overdrive auto, but not sure if you can run that trans without a CPU. So live out the dream, and tell me what you would put together, and NO, six compound turbo's is TOO much for me! Oh one more little thing, in my neck of the woods, I do not need ANY emissions controls, but don't want to smoke people out either!
Thanks,
Gus

Old 12-02-2013, 12:18 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your goal is easy enough.

12v with a set of injectors and a mild turbo will easily get you there...

57/65/12 turbo with a set of 100hp injectors, mild pump tuning (mostly timing for economy) and some upgraded valve springs, and throw on an exhaust brake. make a great pusher motor. unless it is going up front in the RV, either way still a great motor...

should more than meet your power goals...

you will want to make sure you get the intercooler and put it in a place where it will get plenty of air.

you could also do a 24v and convert to a P7100 or a VE. you can go either way there... p7100 is a more common conversion.

24v can get away with 50hp injectors, same turbo recommendation, and mild pump tuning on a P7100, more pump tuning on a VE. (VE on its best day with compounds and huge injectors is only going to make 450hp tops lol. so lots of tuning from this pump if you go that route)

the way I'm recommending the build with the turbo choice and injectors is for maximum reliability with minimal maintenance and no need to monitor gauges...

sure you can run stock turbo and injectors and crank the pump way up, but then you need a pyrometer, boost gauge, etc...

I figure in an RV you don't want all of those gauges in there, and you don't want to worry about your motor...

next comes transmission... in an RV an automatic would be best... and a built 12v's auto would probably be your best bet there...unless you want to get an adapter and run a turbo 400 or built 700R4... (older chebby transmissions are probably cheaper)

anyway that's my .02

shouldn't have smoke problem with either build and both should net 300hp/600+tq easily without the need to monitor gauges. (assuming the trans is built and has good cooling)

Quick Reply: Help me build the best 6bt.