Diesel General Discussion This section is for general discussions about your Deisel RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Hitchin post

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 07:56 PM
tincan57
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitchin post

We live in an old log cabin, and for sometime we've been tearing the backyard up turning trailers around,
off loading etc. My wife goes back home often and so we, (haul vehicles), and the plans have been one giant
stone pad in the back.

Well, since the cold weather we decided to install a hitching post, (make
it look like for horses but have plug-ins for the diesels). I have extra 12"
logs in the barn along with some 8" logs. The wife knows about the pad, but not the hitchin post
(the one brother doing the electrical has a Powerstroke), so we'll have to have a different view from
time to time. Hitching post will go parallel to the truck, as in this photo and square rock base to the hay field.
Tack on my crowd of "live-in" horse trailer pals. (my dogs want even chase cats).

Had it plugged to the outside decks the first night, was forced in 99 to go with GFI when I built. It tripped on me and
had to crack the kitchen window and run off non GFI receptacle. GET RID of GF on UNDER DECK 110 if you can get by with it. I still like my idea though, perhaps under eave. I have a big thanks to friends for the completion of the driveway and vehicles.

Thoughts? K.

Last edited by tincan57; 02-14-2014 at 06:55 PM. Reason: commas/buddies/ticked off for GFI 99
Old 01-07-2014, 12:00 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you asking if you should make a stupid horse post to run power to? I don't care lol

I would just stab a metal post in the ground myself with a power box for the truck, but that's just me. maybe put it on a timer so it comes on say 30 minutes to an hour before you normally leave with the truck.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:28 PM
tincan57
Captain

Now that's a thought Jigabop................gotta rummage for those fuel filters. Speaking of that, any of you guys use Stanadine additive? K.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:16 PM
tincan57
Captain

My apologies Jigabop, I was thinking diesel enthusiast as opposed to Cummins non tech. We have folks that come around my place that have Fummins as well as Cummins and they hang out a bit. This just happens to be our first stretch of bitterly cold this has surfaced on and we were sitting around chewing the fat. I stand corrected and will pose posts accordingly. K.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:58 AM
Jigabop
Champion

from what I've seen, a lot of guys like the howes additive.

I personally haven't had to run any additives. stations around here are pretty good at running winter blends, and it just doesn't get super cold here. worst i've ever seen here was +5*F

never seen it in the negatives.

never had a gelling problem.

btw a block heater won't stop your fuel from gelling. it just keeps your coolant warm, does nothing for your fuel.

http://www.howeslube.com/dieseltreat.php

Old 01-08-2014, 08:42 PM
tincan57
Captain

Thanks Jigabop, I'm looking for something I can count on in case a cold snap sneaks up so I can add at fill up. I'm only hauling about 4 times a month now (winter). As for electric service, when I built the place never planned on having heavy trucks near the house. For some reason the service off the deck is tripping off when I plug the Cummins up (after about 30 minutes), so ran it off the kitchen inside through the window.

Thanks for the tip (went through 2 filters on fuel from Wally world and switched to Kroger brand diesel.) I'll look for Howe's and I'll probably have to order. Our winter blend is more North than South and we only got to 5 below. K.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:13 PM
Jigabop
Champion

local o'reilly's auto parts here has the howes treatment on the shelf.

might try a local o'reilly or autozone to see if they have it in stock if you need it ASAP.

otherwise might be cheaper to order online.

I get my diesel at fred meyer here. they seem high volume enough since they have 8 diesel pumps and 16 gas pumps.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:45 PM
tincan57
Captain

Thanks again, we have an Oreilly's (have an account with'em). Good point on volume, unfortunately we are in small town. Wally world has 2 pumps, Kroger 2 pumps, but high volume due to price and location. I was waiting on the wife at Kroger Grocery one day and had a chance to watch all the diesels trucks filling. I made the switch. K.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:57 AM
Jigabop
Champion

yeah high volume stations are more likely to have fresh fuel and fresh winter blends rather than a station that doesn't get refueled much that will tend to not have winter blends or as strong of winter blends.

also gotta make sure the station is reputable and has pour point depressant on site to mix with the fuel in case of sudden temp drops, and a staff that is actually good about using it.

Quick Reply: Hitchin post