Diesel General Discussion This section is for general discussions about your Deisel RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

New Guy with Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 02:54 PM
IdahoRam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy with Questions

Greetings,

I'm a current Ford owner, my last 4 trucks have been PowerStrokes for which I have had no complaints. However, I am now in the market again and the 2014-3500 with the Cummins has piqued my interest. I've always liked the Cummins but the older Dodge interior turned me off. The newer Rams are quite improved, in my opinion. I wouldn't set foot in a Chevy truck.

Before I pull the trigger on a new Laramie I thought I would poke around on here and get some more info. I am particularly interested in the MPG. This truck will be primarily a commuter vehicle. I live about 45 miles from work but as a toy hauler in the summer, I pull a 21' boat and an in-bed camper that both total about 10,000# combined. I'm also curious about the DEF system. I've never driven a truck with it and have done some preliminary reading about it. Is this a mandatory system or can you drive without it without pinging a check-engine light? Also on the exhaust side, how common is straight-piping on the new Cummins? Any issues? My current PowerStroke is straight-piped.

Thanks in advance

Old 05-09-2014, 12:17 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MPG isn't as spectacular as the older cummins engines and DEF has been problematic on most of the newer diesels from what I hear.

Not something that is optional since it is emissions control equipment. I'd rather have the DPF filter than DEF personally since DEF is sensitive to storage temperatures, etc.

there are still no DEF delete kits yet, so unless you want to force a truck into limp mode with the CEL on, the DEF system has to stay in place so straight pipe is not possible until someone comes up with a delete for them.

glad I own a 2nd gen 24v no emissions controls what so ever

and I rather like my interior. power everything, fake wood trim, heated leather, in dash nav, 800w RMS sound system. what's not to like?! the nav and sound system are aftermarket though...

Last edited by Jigabop; 05-09-2014 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:57 AM
IdahoRam

Can anyone tell me what the rate of consumption is for DEF fluid? Im curious how often you go through it.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:01 AM
pavement_hater
Veteran

From Cummins. 1 gal of DEF per 50 gal of fuel burned. I wasn't on empty but put 4 gal in the 5 gal tank when I did my first fill up at 3100. Only have 4300 now so I can't say if it will stay in that ballpark yet.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:52 AM
RDuck
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

And not every place you buy diesel sells DEF.
You go on a trip, bring a few bottles with you.
Basically its just ****. If you do run out you can pee in the DEF tank.
Lol. Ya. You can.
But you can run straight water in the summer.

Now I haven't tried it but that's what I've been hearing.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:55 PM
Jigabop
Champion

urea is a byproduct of urine, but it is not urine. don't pee in your DEF tanks. that's just disgusting. unless you really want to damage the system and have it smell like a urinal.

urea is colorless and odorless. wiki it...

Old 05-20-2014, 12:06 PM
RDuck
Captain

Originally Posted by Jigabop
urea is a byproduct of urine, but it is not urine. don't pee in your DEF tanks. that's just disgusting. unless you really want to damage the system and have it smell like a urinal.

urea is colorless and odorless. wiki it...
Not that you should. Lol. But you could.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:17 PM
Jigabop
Champion

that's like saying you can dump raw crude oil in your tank and run on it with no problems...

Old 05-21-2014, 12:12 PM
RDuck
Captain

Originally Posted by Jigabop
that's like saying you can dump raw crude oil in your tank and run on it with no problems...
Now your just being silly. Lol.
But you could run your engine on varsol if you had too.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:50 PM
IdahoRam

Well, it is done. A couple weeks ago I bought a 2014 Longhorn Laramie with the Cummins and Aisin transmission. It is clearly the nicest vehicle I have ever owned and I almost feel guilty for buying it.....almost. :-)

Quick Reply: New Guy with Questions