Diesel General Discussion This section is for general discussions about your Deisel RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

New dodge owner. Stock truck.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:54 AM
Grabbing gears
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New dodge owner. Stock truck.

So I just bought a dodge...I'm kinda a Chevy guy. Picked up a 2002 dodge 2500. 24v with 6-speed manual trans. Full leather and a clean, clean body. Bought it off an older gentlemen who bought it off a guy that stored it. So the story goes until 2 years ago an old man bought it new and got sick. Was stored in a heated garage for 5 years. Truck is all stock with 166,000 Kms on it. Basically going to use the truck for a daily driver and towing a 28ft sled trailer in the winter. Been doing some reading and I think first things first is a fuel pump/lift pump? Going to continue to read but and help would be appreciated.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:38 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah very first thing is to get a fuel pressure gauge on it. Then you're going to want to get a lift pump that keeps the fuel pressure gauge up on the happy end.

Nice find, BTW. Mid-01 I believe is when Dodge got rid of the drum brakes on the rear end, so you got the good stuff. Jigabop should be by sometime, he's more of a 24v guru than I am.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:24 PM
Grabbing gears
Default Some adds.

Found found out it had a FASS pump aready. Put on a AfE intake, MBRP exhaust. Fuel pressure and boost gauges installed. Phantom series. Have a huge parts list. Have read lots about the motor. Have a nice parts list. Should be a fun build. Let's see if I know how to post some pictures!

Old 10-03-2014, 12:34 PM
Jigabop
Champion

sounds like you are in good shape...

some basics on the gauges:

fuel psi: ideally want to see it between 14-20psi at all times (that's idle, cruise, and wide open throttle)
EGT: anything under 1250*F is perfectly safe you can touch up to 1450*F for short bursts but don't hold it there for a prolonged amount of time or you can cause damage to the turbine and start melting things...

boost: nothing over 35psi on the stock turbo.

Old 10-26-2014, 05:50 PM
Grabbing gears
Default Fuel pressure

Have just noticed today at idle my fuel pressure is reading 23-24psi. Is this okay? I've never seen it over 20 before. Cruising it sits about 17psi and wide open it's right on 15psi.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:59 PM
Jigabop
Champion

it's not "ideal" but it's not gonna hurt anything.

worst case it will cause hard start issues and you will need to reduce it at that point..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New dodge owner. Stock truck.