Diesel General Discussion This section is for general discussions about your Deisel RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

'00 Cummins runs, starves, runs, starves cycle while driving

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 05:19 AM
jfxj67
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '00 Cummins runs, starves, runs, starves cycle while driving

We (my boss) recently bought a '00 Cummins that (I) talked him into buying. It's an Awesome truck. <br />
It has appeared to ran out of fuel at just under 1/8 tank, and after bleeding out the injection pump, it's a runner. <br />
<br />
Now every 3 seconds it bogs out like it's starving for fuel. It runs good for a few more seconds, and then falters out again... (consistently every 3 seconds). <br />
<br />
We had to drop it off at the shop. Also a few different MAP codes showed up, so we agreed on swapping out the MAP. <br />
<br />
Don't seem to be getting anywhere with this shop, but we're still on the cheap so far @$160.<br />
<br />
My questions are, what kind of fuel pressure should be on the test port, and could this be either a bad lift pump or fuel filter as the possible culprit? <br />
<br />
Sorry, neither of us are diesel guys... Yet, and we're still trying to ask the right questions for the shop to put this truck back to work. <br />
<br />
I'll try to get the codes up asap, and maybe post up a video.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Last edited by jfxj67; 03-24-2015 at 05:25 AM.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:25 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lift pump should be putting out at the very least 7 psi or so. Ideally it should be quite a bit higher than that at full load so you don't fry the injection pump.

It sounds like your boss may be replacing both.

Old 04-10-2015, 03:10 AM
jfxj67
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$400 dollars later, the truck left the shop with a new MAP sensor.

CEL still on when it left the shop with a Map Code...
When the (diesel guy) read it at Autozone, we unplugged the Edge EZ Map & Data link and she runs like a raped ape with no mo codes.

Quick Reply: '00 Cummins runs, starves, runs, starves cycle while driving