Diesel General Discussion This section is for general discussions about your Deisel RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

EGR Valve, what's wrong?

Old 04-16-2016, 09:33 PM
Karln1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR Valve, what's wrong?

Hi, I am new to this forum and am looking for some help with a new problem. I have a 2007 ram 3500 with the 6.7L motor, just missed the later year smog devices. I recently took off my EGR valve, cooler, and cleaned them as per the manual, I also replaced the filter. I am now getting a very strong smell of exhaust in my cab, especially when I use heat/ac. I am wondering if anyone would have any possible ides? I cleaned the EGR valve a second time just to see if that would help and it didn't change a thing. The truck runs fine, it's just unbearable to drive! Hoping one of you guys might be able to help. Oh, truck had 69,000 miles, 6 speed automatic.
Thanks
Karl

Old 04-16-2016, 09:37 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

Did you replace the gasket?

Old 04-17-2016, 03:41 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm dropping this into the diesel folks' back yard. Might be able to get a better answer there.

Old 04-17-2016, 01:24 PM
Karln1

Thanks Chet! And yes, I did replace the gasket as well as everything else. I bought a complete factory kit for doing the service. Could I have an electrical problem going here? I didn't really change anything and I believe everything was put back properly.
thanks
Karl

Old 04-19-2016, 03:34 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fact that you're getting exhaust in the HVAC leads me to believe you have a gross leak under hood. Something isn't sealed up right. With the engine idling I would think it would be pretty noticeable, especially if you turn the exhaust brake on during warmup mode.

Also, if you've got the 6.7, you've got all the smog stuff unless it has been removed by someone.

Old 04-19-2016, 12:49 PM
Karln1

Hi and thanks for the reply! I think you are exactly right but I am having trouble locating the leak. I have reset both the egr valve, cooler and filter and all seem ok. Not sure what else to check. ALso, I meant that I have an early 07 truck that does not have as much smog stuff as later ones. In Oregon the later ones have to be smog checked each year where as mine doesn't. I am not really sure what the difference is but there must be some.
Would you have any suggestions as to locating the leak? Any help would really be appreciated!

Thank you
Karl

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EGR Valve, what's wrong?