Notices
DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

AGX coilover install Avenger 1st Gen by Silvercoupe97

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 11:13 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default AGX coilover install Avenger 1st Gen by Silvercoupe97

Well, here's a how-to on installing coilovers onto AGX shocks. This is what I had to do get my Maxspeed coilovers on my AGXs...any coilover for that matter.
First off, I had cut the AGX stock spring perch off, you can also just grind them down but that will take longer and produce a lot of heat which is not good for these gas type shocks, so do it in moderation.
I used aviation snips and a lot of *** behind it to cut the perch off! Once you get the perch off, you'll have to grind the rest off, again, take breaks to keep the heat down to a minimum because it builds up fast grinding. I also had to grind some of the welding down because the coilover sleeve wouldn't fit over it. Here's what mine looked like after. BTW, this is the rear shocks...the front perches can just be knocked off with a hammer. I trimmed mine too, just to keep things even.

Once I got the perch off, I put the brass ring on, you don't have to, I did it because I had it and I said "why not?". Initially I put th o-rings on that you see here, but I ended up using Clear RTV on the bottom opening of the perch. You can use whatever color you like if you go this route btw. Let the RTV dry before you put the shocks onto your car or gravity may pull some of it down and then you'll have uneven areas. BTW, incase you haven't figured it out yet, the RTV keeps the bottom of the coilover sleeve from bouncing around and making clanking noises when you go over bumps and the like (this is why "generic" coilovers are so noisy and aren't preferred by most daily drivers). When I left my car with Jasonlee (for the conversion) he had to do another set of shocks for my rear because the ones I had for the Avenger suspension were different and than the Eclipse AWD and he used regular electrical tape to cover the gap. You can do that to...just use your imagination, I've heard folks trim PVC pipes that were the same size and shove those into the gap (I did that too [>:]). This works but the PVC shims might fall out if you don't cover them up somehow... i.e. tape or RTV. I like the RTV and would recommend that because you can cover the entire shock/sleeve gap with it.

Here's what the shocks look like if you don't cut the perches off. The one on the left will give you a raised car look, , and the one on the right is the correct height of the sleeve.

I provide this how-to only on a "do this at your own risk" type thing. I am not liable for any mishaps when doing this to any shocks. This is for "offroad" use only...blah, blah. In other words...you're on your own if you screw it up, so don't blame me :P
Oh yeah, this was done about 2 years ago without problems except for that I realize that I need stiffer coilovers for closed course road races and I have to roll my fender in on the front and cut them off on the back. Stupid 40mm offset. I suggest keeping the stock offset of 42mm if you think that you'll lower your car lower than 1.5". With 17x7 or higher and wider and a 40mm offset will make the wheels flush with the body and it gives a wider stance (looks good), not good on my lowered Venge's fenders however.

Avenger1stGen

Quick Reply: AGX coilover install Avenger 1st Gen by Silvercoupe97