Dodge Avenger This forum hosts discussion areas for both the 95-00 and 08-14 Dodge Avenger Coupes and Sedan

Worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011 | 04:57 PM
Castiel
|
Default Worth the money?

I have a 2008 Dodge Avenger SXT. Its a 4cylinder, 173 horsepower I believe. I have close to 50K miles on it. I want to make this car last as long as possible. Does anyone know how long this type of car is expected to last? 100K? 200K? Id love to hear some numbers from people to determine whether or not I should evn bother putting money into this car to make it better.

Right now what I'm considering doing is having the Razzi body kit installed on it. Thats for the looks. Now, I'll still be left with the puny 4cylinder engine though. I'm not exactly going to be smoking ANYTHING off the line with that kind of power. Aside from spending a painful amount of money on having a completely different engine installed in my car, is there ANY other ways for me to give this car some more power? Any ideas would be great. I hear people all the time saying "yeah I souped up my car and its fast as hell now" etc. Well, what can be done to soup up the avenger? Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly welcomed.

And again, to the original question, is it really even worth my time and money to start a mission to make this car into more than what it was? I'd hate to spend money on it and make it look great only to have it crap out at 100K miles or something ridiculous. After all it is an american made car :/

Old 05-07-2011 | 01:07 AM
steak59
Record Breaker

I haven't seen much problems with the Avenger. Change ur oil and Trans fluid often, it will last. The rest of the money would most likely be just Brakes and Tires.
Occasionally i would see a bad ball joints or worn tie rod end. Maybe some misc. electronic problems.
We share this Engine with Mitsubishi and Hyundai, it is not a bad engine at all. it handles 270-300 horsepower on other car line.
Chrysler pretty much fixed-up the 4-speed trans in the past 20yrs, i havent seen many trans failure on the newer car.

The Avenger will last long as long as you maintain it well. But it will be a simple grocery getter, nothing more. If you are going to beat the crap of it, this is not the car
Get a Charger/Challenger w/ Hemi. or maybe a Mustang GT.

Quick Reply: Worth the money?