Dodge Avenger This forum hosts discussion areas for both the 95-00 and 08-14 Dodge Avenger Coupes and Sedan

avenger cooling fan

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011 | 09:35 PM
szpilafam
|
Rookie
Default avenger cooling fan

forgot to mention, when i got the car the previous owner had ran constant key on power to the fans (radiator and a/c condensor). when I asked why he said he could never get the car to get above operating temp and fans never kicked on, he was worried that the temp sensor was bad so ran constant power to prevent overheating. i put in a brand new coolant temp sensor. and repaired the cut wire to the fans. the a/c fan comes on when i turn on a/c...the radiator fan has yet to turn on, but the temp guage never goes above half way????? is there a differnt sensor for the temp guage or fan? surley running this car without the fan coming on would cause the temp guage to go above halfway or at least overheat the car rite?

Old 10-24-2011 | 02:51 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator

mine runs very rarely ... only on really hot days you mention the A/c so you know they are seperate

there are 2 sensors one for the fan and one for the temp gauge

Old 10-24-2011 | 06:19 PM
szpilafam
|
Rookie

thanks for all ur help, this really is a cool car. it's the newest 1 i,ve ever owned....the misses always gets the new cars. i checked all relays to fans, they are all good, and the a/c one comes on when i turn a/c on. i'm gona take her for a spin and see if it gets above halfway without the fans bypassed. or see if any steam comes out (lol)

Old 01-25-2012 | 01:17 PM
Dodge Brothers

If your sitting in a parking lot with the engine running (and have been driving the car so you know it's up to operating temp), I would definitely expect the radiator fan to come on after a couple minutes since there's no airflow through the radiator.

Did you check the thermostat? Maybe it's stuck open, or is missing and the coolant is going through the radiator full-blast, so the engine never comes up to proper operating temp.

Last edited by Dodge Brothers; 01-25-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-26-2012 | 03:41 PM
szpilafam
|
Rookie

The previous owner had bypassed the fan(along with other things) and I was curious as to why it never went over half way on temp guage. I have since unbypassed it and it has never overheated only going to the halfway mark. During one of my other many repair jobs I had the car running while working. It came on so I know everything works, but just like bad venge says it rarely comes on. Thanks anyways. still got the abs project and emergency brake is disconnected....more to work on

Old 01-29-2012 | 03:11 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator

The ones om my Grand Caravan rarely run either. It runs about 1/2 way up on the
gauge as well.

Quick Reply: avenger cooling fan