Dodge Avenger This forum hosts discussion areas for both the 95-00 and 08-14 Dodge Avenger Coupes and Sedan

2012 dodge avenger issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2019 | 07:12 AM
Shaun Durbatch
|
Default 2012 dodge avenger issue

I have a 2012 dodge avenger and I have had it stall before but I thought it was a heat issue and after putting more coolant in my car it stopped stalling until yesterday when I had stall after stall.
I was able to drive fine for awhile and then I came home let it sit for about an hour or so then I took wife and kids to the lake and 5 mins on my way home it stalled so I thought that it was warm out maybe it's the coolant again and no I have lots of coolant, then thought it may be a battery issue but it turns over the lights radio ect. works and when I do stall the steering wheel gets difficult to turn. This happened several times on my way home can I get some idea on what it could be so that I don't waste money on what won't help.

Old 07-08-2019 | 09:30 AM
primem
Record Breaker

what engine?
stalls when cruising?
coolant temp hot or cold?
stalls when your decelerating to a stop?
stalls when stopped idling?
check engine light on? is yes, post the codes

the steering will get hard to turn when you stall...the p/s pump is driven by the engine.

Old 07-08-2019 | 09:53 AM
Shaun Durbatch
|

Originally Posted by primem
what engine?
stalls when cruising?
coolant temp hot or cold?
stalls when your decelerating to a stop?
stalls when stopped idling?
check engine light on? is yes, post the codes

the steering will get hard to turn when you stall...the p/s pump is driven by the engine.
Engine 2.4L I believe it's a 4 cylinder
Starts fine stalls while driving when it stalls it's hard to steer (stiff)
Coolant temperature is in the mid range
Yes check engine light is on sometimes I get ETC light to come on too
As for codes I don't have a computer to pull codes so unknown.

Old 07-11-2019 | 05:16 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator

The steering gets hard when the engine stops, because the power steering pump is belt driven, so it stops when the engine stops. Many local auto parts stores will scan the codes for free. Take it somewhere, such as AutoZone, and have them scan it and give you a printout,. Post the results here and we can guide you in the right direction.

The ETC light means there is an issue with the throttlebody or pedal assembly, since it is drive-by-wire and there is no cable. These codes will show up when scanned as well.

Old 07-11-2019 | 09:46 PM
primem
Record Breaker

have seen multiple 2.4L avengers with stripped plastic gears in the throttle actuator. follow the codes to begin your diagnostic.

The following users liked this post:
lxman1 (07-14-2019)

Quick Reply: 2012 dodge avenger issue