Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

Question about tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 10:00 AM
LoveMyDodgeinMN
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question about tires

I'm completely ignorant when it comes to cars. I know pretty much nothing except I know how to drive them :-D
Anywho, the weather here in MN has been HORRRRRENDOUS the past week! Example, today we have a high of 100 with 61% humidity with the dew point at 70 (the humidity was much worse the past few days. I went out to my car this morning and my low tire pressure indicator came on. I was on my way to work so I had no time to stop and check, I plan on doing that on my lunch break. Is it possible humidity/extreme heat could cause low tire pressure? I've had issues with my passenger front tire since I bought the car. The said tire had a plug in it and my service guy couldn't figure out what was going on. Turns out the plug was too small for the hole. So they made a new plug. He said it wouldn't last forever.....of course. I just hope I don't need new tires yet.....arrrrgh.
Thanks!

Old 07-20-2011, 12:00 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Plugging tire from outside is temporary fix, or trying out ur luck.
Find the leak, mark it, dismount the tire, and put a patch from the inside, put A LOT of tire glues in, permenant fix. Tire shop usually charge $15-$25 for patching from the inside.

If you have a plug in it, it is possible hot weather can cause the plug to leak. Rubber expand at higher temp.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:32 PM
LoveMyDodgeinMN
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figured it's probably the plug. I checked all of my tires today and that passenger front was the low one. FYI, I have never plugged any sort of tire. I'm not sure if you read my post but I know nothing at alllllll about cars really. When I bought the car, that tire had been plugged previously.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:23 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Mine does that too. Drops to 28psi and the light comes on. I too have a plug in the right front. I think if you park on it it lets a small amount of air out. I need to have mine patched as well. I'm sure it's the plug because it only does it maybe once every 2 weeks and I went over it again with soapy water today and couldn't find a leak.
I may have it patched tomorrow. Been working too much to get to an open shop.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:18 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine did that too with a inside patch and here in Florida we have nothing but humidty. Patch lasted real good for about 6 months then I got my slow leak. I could go about 5 weeks before I had to put air in it and since I don't drive far, I just waited til I got my bonus and put new tires on.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:53 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I got them rotated with my oil change at the dealer today, but haven't got it patched yet. Plan on doing that tomorrow. They also ordered me new roof trim pieces for both sides. The rubber along the bottom of them is curling up. Got lucky because I have 2 months left on my 3yr/36K factory warranty.

Name:  IMAG0407.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  56.5 KB

Name:  IMAG0406.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  45.9 KB

Name:  IMAG0408.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  56.1 KB

Last edited by lxman1; 07-22-2011 at 11:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Question about tires