Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

CVT neutral/selector switch

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 05:35 AM
Richie12
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CVT neutral/selector switch

I would like to thank AB Able Truck to post the cleaning of the selector switch.
The P0700 & P0708 and the, well, I will describe: the dash indicator for shift gear selected circle around the PNRL + the L will look like an 8, also those "check engine" codes.
This switch cleaning inside it has fixed this problem, though I will add that this switch is sealed very well, there was a carbon build-up on these slide contacts, I believe enough conductivity that alowed the processor to think more than one gear was selected at once. I personally think to stop driving untill this is fixed-some said CVT tore up after these codes appeared, presumably they continued to drive it, though its seems okay what I am saying is the processor is sending signals that, again, various gears are selected all at one time.
The selector swich is under the battery tray and not hard to remove, once the shifter cable end removed, the two 10mm bolts then carefully pry it off the flat shift selector that goes inside the tranny...you can then take it to your bench and take the switch apart with screw driver.
I cleaned the contacts with Qtips, then reapplied some of the excess clean grease back on to the contacts.
Richie

Old 01-02-2014, 04:50 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for the tip

Old 01-16-2014, 02:46 AM
Richie12
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default update

So, it lasted about a week, maybe she drove less than a hundred miles...got the same check engine codes, but not the shift indicator display (L like an 8 and the circle around the PRND.
I have replaced the trans range selector switch MoPar 5189839AA; Wells Vehicle Electronics SW6359 AND now have a Miller Tool 9876 to adjust it correctly, which I did yesterday.
We shall see....Rich

Quick Reply: CVT neutral/selector switch