Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

08 caliber 2.0L sxt cvt electronic throttle control light flashed and now limp mode

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 12:45 AM
phillykorean
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 caliber 2.0L sxt cvt electronic throttle control light flashed and now limp mode

I was driving home and i did hit a pothole, but while I was driving the electronic throttle control light started to blink and then turned off. I parked the car, and took out the driver's manual and reset it but then once I started the car again the car ran rough, like the engine is sputtering while idling, also I pressed down on the gas but the car's tachometer only went up to the number 2 and the car could only go about 5-10 mph with the d option on the shifter. So I switched it to autostick mode and I was shifting gears but the car would only do between 10-20 mph. This is the limp mode that all chrysler, dodges, and plymouths do. I was able to get home but at every red light or stop sign the car sputters hard and then when I am pressing the brakes to slow down the car gets jerky movements. I have looked up on dodge forums and it seems like this is a common issue, but when I bought the car and I also just checked the dodge recall website everything is up to date. It could be anything from a snapped handbrake cable to a speed sensor to a throttle position sensor or a loose vacuum hose. I am not sure what it could be. Can anyone help please?

Last edited by phillykorean; 04-01-2015 at 12:50 AM.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:20 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi phillykorean,

I recommend letting an FCA dealership take a look at your vehicle. Are there any trouble codes present?

Old 04-03-2015, 08:56 AM
phillykorean
Default so it isn't in limp mode but two codes showed up

Ok I took it to aamco and had they diagnose it

two codes popped up: fuel volume and throttle actuator codes

the suspect was a bad throttle body

which is an expensive part with NO aftermarket availability

apparently it is a very common issue and mine went after 62,000 miles which is pretty lame.

Anyways I purchased a new throttle body and hopefully it will solve the issue.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:49 AM
DodgeCares
Champion

Thanks for the update, phillykorean! Any issues since the new throttle body purchase?

Originally Posted by phillykorean
Ok I took it to aamco and had they diagnose it

two codes popped up: fuel volume and throttle actuator codes

the suspect was a bad throttle body

which is an expensive part with NO aftermarket availability

apparently it is a very common issue and mine went after 62,000 miles which is pretty lame.

Anyways I purchased a new throttle body and hopefully it will solve the issue.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:38 AM
phillykorean
Default update

Hey I have gotten my car back last saturday and I have been driving it ever since, so far it seems to be working well. let's hope it stays that way.

Throttle response is about the same from the day I bought the car, I know it never was a rocket so I can't complain. But so far I am satisfied. I can still reach speeds up to 110 mph that is the furthest I have pushed it and that is more than plenty

I baby the car a lot so it doesn't get ridden hard often, maybe once in a while.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:04 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for the update. Hopefully this one will last much longer.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:27 PM
DodgeCares
Champion

Thanks for the update, phillykorean!

Quick Reply: 08 caliber 2.0L sxt cvt electronic throttle control light flashed and now limp mode